News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Catalinbread Pareidolia Harmonic Mesmerizer

Started by maysink, July 03, 2010, 07:24:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maysink

Did I hear Catalinbread was okay with the DIY community reverse engineering their pedals or did I just make that up? Anyways, this seems like a fun pedal with a unique name...
[nothing to see here]
-e

wasteofspace

Quote from: maysink on July 03, 2010, 07:24:41 PM
Did I hear Catalinbread was okay with the DIY community reverse engineering their pedals or did I just make that up? Anyways, this seems like a fun pedal with a unique name...

Have you had a look at the Grapevine and Faultline project docs?

"Note: Catalinbread supports the use of this design for non-commercial, DIY purposes. If you like this project, consider visiting the Catalinbread website to check out their many fine products.

Please note that Catalinbread does not provide any type of support regarding this information, or any of the madbeanpedals PCB products. Please visit the madbeanpedals forum for any technical assistance you require.

Thanks to Nicholas Harris for supporting the DIY stompbox community!"

Kudos to Mr Harris and Brian for this.
- dMac

Making his own pedals since 1998!

madbean

For now, I don't think there will be any further CB projects released here. I have talked quite a bit with Nicholas via email and he is a very level-headed and friendly guy. He proposed adding the info in the project docs, and the link back to the CB website, which is totally fine by me. In consideration of that, I probably won't publish any further CB projects here without speaking with him first, at least.

madbean

PS, there is an SCOD layout I was working on. If I do get around to finishing it, I'll post the docs over at FSB. I might create an addendum section of this forum for layouts I don't offer up as boards. There are a few others I have.

HM

Quote from: madbean on July 04, 2010, 04:58:42 PM
PS, there is an SCOD layout I was working on. If I do get around to finishing it, I'll post the docs over at FSB. I might create an addendum section of this forum for layouts I don't offer up as boards. There are a few others I have.

ok does it mean that the version FSB of 3-26-10 does not work correctly? excuse about that he asks you, but there are things that I do not understand well for the language!!!

thank you

maysink

re: wasteofspace--yep! that's what/where I read.

Seems pretty cool the kids at Catalinbread chose to talk to you brian as a human being vs. unleashing the legal hounds. Points in their favor.
[nothing to see here]
-e

pauloman80

Quote from: maysink on July 05, 2010, 08:59:24 AM
re: wasteofspace--yep! that's what/where I read.

Seems pretty cool the kids at Catalinbread chose to talk to you brian as a human being vs. unleashing the legal hounds. Points in their favor.

Indeed.  Wasn't quite so rosy at first when Paul Cochrane's Timmy pedal schematics got posted over at DIY.  Danelectro had already stolen his design for their Cool Cat overdrive by this point.  At first he was pretty aggravated, finally resigning himself to trying to help correct errors in users' interpreted schematics of his design when it became apparent it was a bit too late to undo the public posting of his schematic.  'Course, then a couple users have the balls to lambaste him saying his corrections were incorrect, and he's forced to respond (and not in so few words): "Um, it's my pedal, I think I know how it's supposed to be built." 

The thing is, it's definitely a difficult spot to be in.  On the one side, you want to support the original builder, like Madbean did when he didn't cancel his Klon order after making his own schematic.  But by the same token, it's honestly cheaper to build the thing yourself, and of course someone out there is going to come up with a schematic and post it online for the masses, and often it's at the chagrin of the builder, whether a one-man-with-a-soldering-iron-and-a-dream operation like Paul Cochrane or a name brand.  So it's nice to see such a level of enthusiasm from a builder.
--------------------------------------------------
Regards,
pauloman80