News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Boneyard - Verified

Started by Ralfg, January 08, 2017, 02:37:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ralfg

I've verified the Boneyard.  Didn't take any pictures of the PCB, but it does work.  It's just a bit too bright for my tastes.  Wondering if increasing the value of the last cap in the chain would fix that.  Or changing out one or both of the LEDs in the clipping section.  I tried a few ICs and not that much of a difference.  Also surprised its not as gainy as I expected.  Or maybe its just not my bag?  Anyone else experience something similar?  Any mods you suggest?
Dr. Von Fuzzbrauer @ Rocket Surgeon Effects Pedals
https://www.smallspacesband.com/

Willybomb

When I built the single channel version last year I bumped the gain pot up to 1 meg. 

On my personal V1 build, I put a 1 meg pot on the high gain channel, and put a 1 meg resistor in series with that...

Ralfg

Cool thanks Willybomb for the tips. 

I just messed with this circuit a bit and I switch the drive pot to A250K, which seemed to give it a bit more gain but not much, I'll probably try to go higher here.  I also changed R8 which in the BOM is 47R, with the cap following it being 2.2uf.  I plugged that into the AMZ F-C filter calculator, and I that makes a corner frequency of 1540Hz.  So I swapped that out for a 180R resistor, which moves it down to 402Hz.  Now, I'm not well versed in what frequencies translate to what tones I hear aside from lower is more bass, but this totally changed the dynamic of the circuit.  Suddenly the treble was not overkill like before but instead the whole tone of the distortion became more punchy and fun in my opinion.  This might be too low, maybe too much punch, so I might swap it out for something lower like 100 or 120, but wow, it seems that the mix is more balanced. 
Dr. Von Fuzzbrauer @ Rocket Surgeon Effects Pedals
https://www.smallspacesband.com/

lego4040

I got a V1 board coming from Haberdasher shortly and can't wait to get at it