News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

King of Klone - aka the Tone Clone

Started by GhostofJohnToad, August 16, 2011, 06:12:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GhostofJohnToad

Just built my first ever pedal using the madbean King of Klone board.  It worked perfectly the first time!  I was very impressed.  I am still playing with getting the sounds I want out of it, but I really like it.  I will caution those who check out the pictures..  My wiring sux and I had a hell of a time fitting it all in the case.  This was my own fault as I was using lots of different wire and I also used a pre-drilled case which kinda screwed me on battery placement.  It currently sits on top of the pots separated by a foam pad.  I also need to get some good knobs to match, I am thinking the silver skirt variety.

I learned a lot though and am already thinking about my next projects.

A couple other things.  The painting is all hand done.  I sprayed the enclosure with primer, then the dark blue, then hand painted the text and clone with acrylic paint from Hobby Lobby.  I then cleared the whole thing.  I am no artist, but the results are acceptable for me for a first time out.  Next time I think I'll use water slide decals. 

Well, here are some pics.

cab_eleven

Nice. That's a great hand paint job of the trooper.

k.rock!

Niiice! Love that paint job man! I immediately started humming the Darth Vader song when I saw it...effective! haha

-Kaleb
God bless!
www.kalebromero.com

gtr2

Who needs decals with hand painting like that!   ;D

Nice job and welcome to the forum!

Josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

dwstanford

Great looking pedal.  The wiring looks quite good for your first pedal.  You should have seen the wiring in my first pedal.  HORRENDOUS!  And it was a super hard on.  I love hand painted pedals.  I think i am going to start hand decorating all my stuff.  I like decals, but i really like the look of stuff like this.  Welcome to the forum.  You are going to see your skills greatly improve over the next few builds.

GhostofJohnToad

Thanks for all the very kind words!

It was a lot of fun and I know there will be more in fact I have Quadrovibe and WolfShirt boards on order.  I can't wait to start planning on what they are going to look like.  For me that is a huge deal.  I love the planning stages.

GhostofJohnToad

Just want to add I was toying around with different ICs today and I am in love with the OPA2134!  It is, as some have said around the internets that it is more "hifi" sounding than others.  I agree somewhat, to me the notes are more articulated.  In this pedal I have tried the stock 4580, Tl072, 4558 and a NE5532N.  The 4558 and the 072 were nice too but more raspy to my ears.

bigmufffuzzwizz

Great job for your first attempt! You'll find your own way and things will get much easier. I'd recommend learning to drill your own enclosures, its not that hard more scary.  :) I wouldn't say your wiring is that bad, but it is easier to plan everything out and drill your own cases. Keep em coming!!
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

nzCdog

Nice one man... clone wars painjob is cool :)