News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Comp>boost no footswitch?

Started by thesameage, January 19, 2017, 07:19:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thesameage

Compression and boost are the "always on" pedals on my bass board. I just ordered parts to build a 4:1 comp and a fatpants. I'm thinking of just putting them into the same enclosure with no foot switch. I have always been tempted to make pedals without a switch if they are always in but have always chickened out.

Has anyone else done this? Any regrets?

My bass board is usually: modulation>comp>boost>fuzz>sadowsky pre

AntKnee

I have considered this a couple times myself, but I reasoned that is better to have it and not need it. If you do ever need to hear or check your clean signal, you're only option is to pull the effect from your chain. Depending on your pedalboard setup, that could be a PIA.
I build, and once in a while I might sell, pedals as "Vertigo Effects".

askwho69

Better have switches, maybe a toggle switch is an option

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sonnyboy27

I like the toggle switch idea. You could top mount the jacks, toggle switches and power so there's only knobs on the face of the pedal. That way you can't accidentally turn anything on and off.

jimilee

I've done it, no regrets

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

jkokura

The only hazard for this plan is resale. If you ever plan to move on from this effect, selling it becomes harder without a stomp switch.

Otherwise it's fine.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

Willybomb

I agree with the toggle switch bypass at least.  Besides checking for level, there's nothing worse than bypassing the effect and finding out the clean tone is nicer...