News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

2n5457

Started by adam_bz, January 31, 2017, 08:49:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

adam_bz

Hiya, what's everyone using as a direct drop in replacement for the 5457 now it's hard to get hold of?

adam_bz

Any thru hole subs?

midwayfair

Quote from: adam_bz on January 31, 2017, 10:33:52 AM
Any thru hole subs?

Through-hole FETs are mostly extinct, so if you can't get 2N5457s, you probably can't get many through-hole subs.

There is a lot of overlap with 2SK30 (which is harder to find), BF245 (easier for Europeans to find, maybe), and some overlap with 2N5952 (which will tend to be lower gain) and 2N5485 and several other FETs. What are you building?

Aleph Null

NTE recommends their NTE457: http://www.nteinc.com/specs/400to499/pdf/nte457.pdf You should be able to get those if you are near a Fry's electronics.

AntKnee

Small bear has them. I just grabbed a bunch.
I build, and once in a while I might sell, pedals as "Vertigo Effects".

Willybomb

I use 2N5485 as subs.

Muadzin

Quote from: zombie_rock123 on January 31, 2017, 09:15:03 AM
These - http://www.diyguitarpedals.com.au/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=6&products_id=375

Just get these, together with the little adapter boards that Paul offers. You can probably get 4 of these combos for the price of one of a through hole 2N5457 from Mouser. Maybe even 5 depending on the exchange rate of the Ozzy dollar. And they're not that hard to solder. I was apprehensive at first too and was pleasantly surprised.

mjg

My first attempt to solder those little 5457 SMD chips onto the adapter boards ended in disaster - the SMD chip ended up stuck to the end of my soldering iron, and wouldn't come off.  I think I need to practice a bit more.  ;D

dbp512

Quote from: mjg on February 04, 2017, 02:50:19 PM
My first attempt to solder those little 5457 SMD chips onto the adapter boards ended in disaster - the SMD chip ended up stuck to the end of my soldering iron, and wouldn't come off.  I think I need to practice a bit more.  ;D

I tin one pad, hold the chip to it, and heat the pad so the solder sticks. I'll add more solder to it, once the other legs have been safely soldered
"you truly are a transistor tickler, what with the application of germanium ointment to sensitive fuzzy areas. :)" - playpunk

jubal81

Quote from: dbp512 on February 04, 2017, 02:57:21 PM
I tin one pad, hold the chip to it, and heat the pad so the solder sticks. I'll add more solder to it, once the other legs have been safely soldered

Exactly how I do it. Took about 3-4 tries to get it down, but it's second nature now.

Best advice is buy extras! You will drop those little buggars. Best to forget about it and just grab another one.
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

mjg

Yeah, I certainly did drop that first one in my lap - after shaking the soldering iron around for a while yelling "Get it off! Get it off!" for comic effect. 

Practice seems to be the key, and don't get too frustrated when the first one seems impossible.  :)