News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Adding effects loop to pedal?

Started by adam193, February 05, 2017, 01:11:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

adam193

The JHS Alpine has an effects loop built into it, its pretty cool...

How hard is it to build something like this into a DIY Reverb pedal?

HamSandwich

Not really too hard, especially with a belton brick Reverb. Do you have a schematic?

sonnyboy27

I'm curious about this too. Particularly in regards to the BTDR-3. I imagine you would just be throwing something like a switching jack into one of the feedback/decay loops. But that seems too simple somehow. How would you do it in a Rub-a-dub deluxe?

http://1776effects.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/Rub-a-Dub-Deluxe-BOM.pdf

HamSandwich

Quote from: sonnyboy27 on February 06, 2017, 06:52:16 AM
I'm curious about this too. Particularly in regards to the BTDR-3. I imagine you would just be throwing something like a switching jack into one of the feedback/decay loops. But that seems too simple somehow. How would you do it in a Rub-a-dub deluxe?

http://1776effects.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/Rub-a-Dub-Deluxe-BOM.pdf

That's exactly what I'd do. Put the switching jacks between lug 3 of mix and lug 1 of tone.

dbp512

Quote from: HamSandwich on February 07, 2017, 06:23:13 PM
That's exactly what I'd do. Put the switching jacks between lug 3 of mix and lug 1 of tone.

Would you want it before or after the junction where that path splits off to R9? I thought you'd want the return loop to come back before it gets fed back into the brick, or is that situational dependent? I ask because I want to try and make my own shimmer, and for that effect at least, the octave up needs to be before the feedback loop (I think).
"you truly are a transistor tickler, what with the application of germanium ointment to sensitive fuzzy areas. :)" - playpunk

HamSandwich

Quote from: dbp512 on February 07, 2017, 07:59:29 PM
Quote from: HamSandwich on February 07, 2017, 06:23:13 PM

Would you want it before or after the junction where that path splits off to R9? I thought you'd want the return loop to come back before it gets fed back into the brick, or is that situational dependent? I ask because I want to try and make my own shimmer, and for that effect at least, the octave up needs to be before the feedback loop (I think).

Good question! I don't know the exact answer. If you wanted the effect to only be on the wet signal, than putting it where I said would work. If you wanted it to be within the feedback loop of the brick, I would think you're right, it would need to be elsewhere. I don't know what happens inside the brick - I don't know if the decay act as feedback. You'd have to play around or perhaps search the forums to find it.

If you really wanted that, you could make one of the reverb projects with pt2399's and have a much easier time finding the feedback loop (merlin's comes to mind). Unless there's a schematic for the brick, it will be hard to say for sure.