News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Jonny Greenwood Glitch Pedal

Started by Guybrush, February 22, 2017, 01:04:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Guybrush

Hi all

Radiohead fans amongst you will undoubtably be aware of the excellent Radiohead gear blog http://thekingofgear.com/ Well the site's owner has now stepped into the world of pedal production. He has a kickstarter running to fund production of a pedal he's designed to emulate Jonny Greenwood's MAX/MSP stutter effect. Page and video demo here https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1099336065/the-king-of-gear-feral-glitch-pedal

There's a shot of the circuit board on the page and it's pretty low on parts. No actual components though unfortunately!

Just thought some of you may be interested!

cloudscapes

Interesting, looks like an FV-1 based effect!

Couldn't find video/sound of it in action anywhere, though.
EDIT: nevermind, I'm blind. I thought that was a page banner/header.

drolo

Quote from: cloudscapes on February 22, 2017, 06:04:46 AM
Interesting, looks like an FV-1 based effect!
Most probably.
Here is a piece of code ready to go, available for the FV1 that is a similar approach
http://www.spinsemi.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=290
not saying it's the same code though, it isn't. the effect on that kickstarter sounds more like a raptio or hexe revolver

Muadzin

In a way it's amazing that people are so obsessed with this sound. If memory serves me well he only used it on one song that the band doesn't play that often.

drolo

must be weird to see that some noodling you did so long ago is so fscinating to people

then again, there are a lot of cover/tribute bands that might be the market for such stuff.
around here you can't find a single ad for a band with their own material anymore ... there are tribute bands for all kinds of bands these days ..

raulduke

Yeah I'm off the meh opinion personally  ???

If it was a patch included amongst others then fair enough (which if it is FV1 based there is certainly scope for).

A pedal devoted to just that sound (which as Muadzin says is only on a few songs) seems a bit silly to me.

Guybrush

Yeah I agree. It definitely only has limited appeal. I think though that some people have just always wanted to recreate the effect with a pedal rather than going the MAX/MSP route.

I'd still be interested in a DIY version but there's no way I'd fork out for a production unit. I just can't see it getting the use to warrant the price tag. Each to their own though! I'm sure some people will love it. And props to the guy from TKOG for coming up with something that does the job.

Muadzin

Quote from: drolo on February 23, 2017, 04:57:46 AM
must be weird to see that some noodling you did so long ago is so fscinating to people

then again, there are a lot of cover/tribute bands that might be the market for such stuff.
around here you can't find a single ad for a band with their own material anymore ... there are tribute bands for all kinds of bands these days ..

Well, the old 'let's go a bar, I hear a band's playing' days are over. Unless you know how to translate your gazillion facebook friends into a decent showing at a local club chances are your band is not going to be that successful playing original material. So at least playing material from famous bands might actually get you some gigs.

Quote from: Guybrush on February 23, 2017, 09:05:57 AM
Yeah I agree. It definitely only has limited appeal. I think though that some people have just always wanted to recreate the effect with a pedal rather than going the MAX/MSP route.

I'd still be interested in a DIY version but there's no way I'd fork out for a production unit. I just can't see it getting the use to warrant the price tag. Each to their own though! I'm sure some people will love it. And props to the guy from TKOG for coming up with something that does the job.

On the other hand, if you abuse a certain effect or technique endlessly it might become your signature thing. Kirk Hammett didn't invent the wah pedal, Tom Morello the Whammy and Zakk Wylde didn't come up with the pinch harmonic. Some guitarist could turn this into his or her signature sound to be used endlessly on every recording.

blearyeyes

blearyeyes

add4

Quote from: Muadzin on February 24, 2017, 03:13:24 PM

Well, the old 'let's go a bar, I hear a band's playing' days are over. Unless you know how to translate your gazillion facebook friends into a decent showing at a local club chances are your band is not going to be that successful playing original material. So at least playing material from famous bands might actually get you some gigs.

these days are (sadly) also gone because of the general level of the bands playing into bars..
some really beleive it's enough to produce some sounds more or less together to try to get an audience..
back in the days, most well known bands actually had a really huge proeficiency at their instruments..

and it makes the difference (for me at least .. but i'm certainly not representative of the majority, just one weird guy)

Muadzin

Quote from: add4 on February 26, 2017, 04:43:06 AM
Quote from: Muadzin on February 24, 2017, 03:13:24 PM

these days are (sadly) also gone because of the general level of the bands playing into bars..
some really beleive it's enough to produce some sounds more or less together to try to get an audience..
back in the days, most well known bands actually had a really huge proeficiency at their instruments..

and it makes the difference (for me at least .. but i'm certainly not representative of the majority, just one weird guy)

I don't know where it is at your end, but over here I have seen plenty of decent to good bands play for empty bars and venues. And I've seen truly shitty bands play for packed venues, because they knew how to mobilize their friends. Even the local band competitions are less about finding actual talent, but more about gauging which bands can still draw in a crowd. It's all about being able to mobilize your friend base. If you can't do that it doesn't matter how good you are, you will just not get many gigs.

There's just too much competition for people's attention besides live music. And social media has turned people's attention spans into those of gnats. You get a hundred people to say they will come to your gig on facebook, you're lucky if ten will show up.