News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Twin Peaks Tap Tempo Tremolo

Started by Timko, March 03, 2017, 06:58:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Timko

For some reason, this build has been a bit of a Waterloo for me.  First, I wired up the optocouplers wrong.  I decided to socket them.  However, I burnt out 2 different connecting pads and had to run some thin wire to connect the trace components.  After a lot of fiddling around, I finally got the tremolo on the blackface side sounding how I want it to sound.  Then, my colossal error; I mislabeled the treble only and bass only functions on my enclosure.  At this point, I said F it and put it in the box.  Aside from the obvious mistake on the design, I really like the way this turned out.  I re-watched both seasons of Twin Peaks while I was doing the design, so the insirpation came from there.

Now that it's boxed up, I am loving the versatility that this pedal offers.  I had built David's Mercury phaser before this one.  While that one sounds great, this one is something special.  It has the same magic that Jon Patton's Cardinal Tremolo had while offering all of the classic blackface sounds.  The ability to dial in a variety of waveforms is a cool feature, and the symmetry control lets you create a pretty authentic sounding tube tremolo.

Those that have the single board layout with the rotary controls will have a lot easier time dialing in the wave shapes.  Sometimes it's hard for me to get it dialed in just right.

m-Kresol

I really like the etch. especially the "Twin Peaks badge" looks nice and kind of antique with the blotchy etch marks.
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

mshuptar

Timko

Quote from: m-Kresol on March 03, 2017, 11:57:00 PM
I really like the etch. especially the "Twin Peaks badge" looks nice and kind of antique with the blotchy etch marks.

It's supposed to be a broken poker chip. Both they and the background pattern are serious nods to the Twin Peaks TV show.

The sides of the enclosure are orange, and the LEDs are green, which is the color scheme seen in the show's opening credits.

hylandren

Quote from: m-Kresol on March 03, 2017, 11:57:00 PM

Agreed! Not only the etch itself, but the design of it as well, even if the labeling is wrong.

BrianS

This is kind of comical.  Mine had been sitting 7/8ths complete for a long time and last week I finally finished it up.  Decaled it, sprayed it and put it in the box.  Was going to ask David a question about the sweep on the shape knob and noticed I put the shape and multiplier image on the wrong side.   :o

Your etch looks really good and I agree that the pedal sounds amazing.

drolo

bluescage

nzCdog

Dude... nice job, great work. 8)
Still gotta build my pcb set... one day..