News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Pork Barrel MN3007 at 15v? and which charge pump? Definitive answers

Started by AntKnee, March 14, 2017, 09:01:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AntKnee

I've done some searching, and can't find a straight answer. There seems to be some back and forth regarding whether the MN3007 version can handle the 15v or not. More specifically, I found where Brian mentioned that the IC can technically handle 15v, but the LFO portion can not. In another thread he also mentions that he may have had an issue with his charge pump that caused this. Elsewhere, it seems like some have built it this way and works fine.

I'd just like to know for sure: Can the 2015 rev.1 Pork Barrel run at 15v with the MN3007?

To continue, is the LT1054 recommended for the charge pump for this effect, or will one of the others (ICL7660SCPA, TC1044SCPA, etc.) work fine on this? I don't know how much current this circuit will draw, so I'm not sure if it matters which pump should be used.
I build, and once in a while I might sell, pedals as "Vertigo Effects".

dbp512

I am working on a pork barrel, the 2015 edition (pre rev 1). I built it a while ago at 15v but never got it working. I didn't know there were issues with it running above 9v, so I'll have to give that a shot this weekend and see if that works. Until then, I'd like to see what anyone else has to say.
"you truly are a transistor tickler, what with the application of germanium ointment to sensitive fuzzy areas. :)" - playpunk

AntKnee

Quote from: dbp512 on March 14, 2017, 02:44:35 PM
I am working on a pork barrel, the 2015 edition (pre rev 1). I built it a while ago at 15v but never got it working. I didn't know there were issues with it running above 9v, so I'll have to give that a shot this weekend and see if that works. Until then, I'd like to see what anyone else has to say.

Did you use MN3007?
I rocked it, before boxing it, at 9v, and it works fine. I would like to add a road rage and box it up, but only if I know for sure it works.

somnif

Not sure about 15, but I've run mine at 12v without issue. Used a "road rage" board with a 12v regulator instead of 15 (instructions were somewhere on this board).

AntKnee

Quote from: somnif on March 14, 2017, 03:42:31 PM
Not sure about 15, but I've run mine at 12v without issue. Used a "road rage" board with a 12v regulator instead of 15 (instructions were somewhere on this board).

Yeah, I saw that 12v was doable, but Brian mentions its not a "game changer", so was hoping to go for 15v. If its not possible, I'll just go with 9v like the original CE-2.

dbp512

Quote from: AntKnee on March 14, 2017, 03:24:34 PM
Did you use MN3007?
I rocked it, before boxing it, at 9v, and it works fine. I would like to add a road rage and box it up, but only if I know for sure it works.

Yup, thats what I'll be using
"you truly are a transistor tickler, what with the application of germanium ointment to sensitive fuzzy areas. :)" - playpunk

madbean

9v or 12v (with a 12vDC supply or charge pump). 15v does not work. It would need adjustments in either the clock or LFO or possibly both. I don't know what exactly those adjustments would be since I have not tried to figure it out.

LT1054 is recommended if using a charge pump but one of the other types you mentioned may work. You will need to make sure that pins 1 and 8 are connected if not using the LT1054.

AntKnee

Quote from: madbean on March 14, 2017, 05:42:01 PM
9v or 12v (with a 12vDC supply or charge pump). 15v does not work. It would need adjustments in either the clock or LFO or possibly both. I don't know what exactly those adjustments would be since I have not tried to figure it out.

LT1054 is recommended if using a charge pump but one of the other types you mentioned may work. You will need to make sure that pins 1 and 8 are connected if not using the LT1054.

Thanks, Brian. I know you mentioned all that in the build doc, but I wanted to be sure after seeing so much chatter about it from the past. I was hoping there was a way it would work. I appreciate the clarification.
Cheers!

cajone5

Quote from: somnif on March 14, 2017, 03:42:31 PM

This.

It does not work at 15v.  I have confirmed this as I tried it and it didn't work.  9v and 12v are both good though (have one that runs at each voltage currently).  Also I confirm there is negligible difference when running the higher voltage.