News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

VFE Update

Started by madbean, March 17, 2017, 03:18:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

matmosphere

I'm guessing it's a comp into a slow gear. Wouldn't make sense to compress the signal after the slow gear. Using a comp before my rustbucket makes everything work much better. I'd assume that's true of the slow gear as welll.

matmosphere

Quote from: madbean on March 23, 2017, 02:06:59 PM
Quote from: somnif on March 23, 2017, 01:05:43 PM
So am I correct in thinking the Bumblebee is basically a Slow Gear chugged into an optical compressor? Or would it be an opto-comp shoved into a slow gear.

What an odd combination of circuits to mix. Sounds interesting though.

I actually do not yet have the schematic for the VFE Bumblebee so I can't say for sure. But it appears to be compression with the option of blending in volume swells in parallel. If you click on the circuit block diagram on the VFE site it gives you a more detailed explanation.
http://vfepedals.com/bumblebee.html

Just saw this.  Cool idea

Aleph Null

Quote from: Matmosphere on March 23, 2017, 02:07:04 PM
I'm guessing it's a comp into a slow gear. Wouldn't make sense to compress the signal after the slow gear. Using a comp before my rustbucket makes everything work much better. I'd assume that's true of the slow gear as welll.

Amp Tweaker recently released a compressor that has an extremely fast attack and an extremely slow release, but with a dry blend. If you mix the dry and wet signal just right, it sounds like super sustain. If you cut the dry signal entirely, it sounds like a volume swell (which is essentially what it is) because it completely squashes the attack. My guess would be the bumblebee has a similar operating principal, but maybe more control over the release time.

madbean

The first two projects will be the Alpha Dog and Pale Horse. I expect these to release by the end of next week! Typing up documentation and getting things ready.

Here is my Pale Horse build. You can see I did a couple of kludges for parts I did not have. Amazing how you can have 2000 different components but still not have that one thing you need...   :)

Jules

Cool, I am interested in the Alpha Dog for sure.
Are there any custom type parts you will need to supply/sell with the VFE pedals?
Thanks

madbean

Quote from: Jules on March 27, 2017, 05:12:38 PM
Are there any custom type parts you will need to supply/sell with the VFE pedals?
Thanks

The custom parts will be included. Also, the switching board PCB and micro-controller are included with every project.

somnif

Ha, answered the question before I got to ask it. I was curious about the breakout board for their relay switching. That is pretty awesome.

dan.schumaker

Looks great Brian!  I am either going to have to suck it up and use side mounted jacks or do a work-around for top mounted :)

BrianS

Well there goes the idea of limiting my projects lol.  I like the switching board with the mounted jacks.  That's really neat.  And of course the build looks awesome.  Any idea on how much the boards are going to run?

Jules

Quote from: madbean on March 27, 2017, 05:40:52 PM
Quote from: Jules on March 27, 2017, 05:12:38 PM
Thanks
that is very cool, my only concern is how much International shipping will go up from the price of just Pcbs?

The custom parts will be included. Also, the switching board PCB and micro-controller are included with every project.

Boba7

Quote from: dan.schumaker on March 27, 2017, 05:45:01 PM
Looks great Brian!  I am either going to have to suck it up and use side mounted jacks or do a work-around for top mounted :)

Ah ah I was just thinking the exact same thing.

Hope shipping won't be too expensive to Europe, but I'm pretty sure I'll want at least a Bumblebee!! Their compressor looks quite amazing too.

madbean

Quote from: Jules on March 27, 2017, 10:53:30 PM
that is very cool, my only concern is how much International shipping will go up from the price of just Pcbs?

They will require regular 1st Class shipping international. There is no way to offer the cheapest shipping option because of the pots, unfortunately. If this is a big problem for people, I suppose I could offer the cheaper option without the pots but I'm not quite sure how that would work. What do you guys think?

Jouve

I'm just excited about it. Recently i've built Brian's Runt - and it just sounds awesome. Seems like i'm all in for alpha dog and a horsie one  :D

Tremster

How much is that shipping option? I can imagine people having no problem paying that once or twice, but people who will build all of them would maybe have to pay the higher amount every few weeks, I don't know.

Jules

For me there are about 3 projects I would like to build and they likely won't be released at the same time. If the shipping is around 20 US and I have to pay it 3 times it would not be worth the shipping cost to me.
Do you expect to have stock of them all in the end or do you expect to them to sell out as released? If I could pay for them as they are released but have them all ship together when ready in some sort of hold system would be OK.
Does every single project have a custom part that cannot be bought elsewhere?