News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Weird problem?

Started by giantrobot, August 22, 2011, 11:06:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

giantrobot

Hey guys! I'm in need of alittle assistance. I'm wiring up a Poindexter and everything works fine outside the enclosure but once I put the jacks in the box I get nothing. I get bypass but no fuzz. I pull the jacks out and everything work fine. Anyone have any idea whats going on here? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks

jkokura

It sounds like you've got a grounding problem. Could you take a picture of what you're working with here?

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

mgwhit

Are you sure you're plugging into the input jack and not the output?  That's an easy mistake to make when the enclosure is open and upside down.

If that's not it, is it happening with the enclosure open or only after you screw the back on?

giantrobot

Thanks for the replies guys. I'm pretty sure its a ground problem too. As soon as the jacks touch the metal enclosure it cuts out. I just wired up a Boomstick the same way and it work fine. Heres a pic of what I got goin on.

jkokura

I can see already your jacks aren't wired correctly. I'm surprised you got it to work outside the enclosure through those jacks. Your picture isn't exactly clear, but I think you've mixed up the lugs (i.e. your sleeve lug and tip lug on your output jack are wrong).

Jacob
JMK PCBs *New Website*

giantrobot

Yeah last night after I made the thread I switched the lugs on the output to see if the would work. Its wired correctly now but I still have the problem. I've built a couple other pedal and have never had this problem. I'm stumped :'(

giantrobot

Oh and sorry for the pic. Its my Ipod camera

jkokura

Well, take a current picture, and double check your input jack. If your output jack was wired incorrectly, I would suspect that your wiring is still the problem.

Jacob
JMK PCBs *New Website*

mgwhit

Are you really still getting an output signal when you're in bypass mode?

giantrobot

Here what I got. Input jack- Tip=input        
                                         Ring=ground
                                         Sleeve=9 volt

Output Jack- Tip=output
                                           Ring=ground

giantrobot

Yup I get bypass but as soon as I flip the switch nothing. I pull the jacks away from the metal and it works fine

jkokura

Well first, the Battery's - lead should be on the ring, not on the sleeve, and the ground should be on the sleeve not the ring. Perhaps that's the issue?
JMK PCBs *New Website*

k.rock!

Quote from: jkokura on August 23, 2011, 12:40:55 PM
Well first, the Battery's - lead should be on the ring, not on the sleeve, and the ground should be on the sleeve not the ring. Perhaps that's the issue?

I think he got mixed up with the names of the connections, but the connections themselves look good to me...

I think the problem lies in your switch connection. I need to take a deeper look into it, but I think there is a combination of ground and switch connection that may be causing something funky :)

Make sure you have everything connected as it should. Use the documentation wiring of the switch.

I'm gonna try to trace your signals looking at the picture to see if they make sense...but I kinda have a feeling there's where you should be looking...

-Kaleb
God bless!
www.kalebromero.com

giantrobot

I appreciate you takin time to help me out guys. I'm very new to the DYI world and I'm still trying to figure everything out. I'm gonna double check the switch and report back.

mgwhit

Apologies if this was mentioned earlier, but does the LED light up when it's in the case?