News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

what are you guys listening to at the moment?

Started by the3secondrule, August 25, 2011, 06:36:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alanp

I also got three Kraftwerk albums -- Computerworld, Radioactive, and The Man Machine.

Radioactive is the only one I haven't heard yet.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

raulduke

New Radiohead album  :)

So far, so good. I definitely prefer it to King of Limbs.

There is some really nice production going on (not many guitars mind).

This video is directed by PT Anderson (There Will be Blood etc.). Thom Yorke is starting to look rather old  :o

crashguitar

I am starting to think that Thom York is slowly morphing into Willie Nelson.

I am listening to the new album right now. I am at work, so I am not able to really listen. Will withhold judgement until I can give it a focused listen.

add4

Quote from: jball85 on May 05, 2016, 09:21:02 AM
I just watched the Ken Burn's Jazz Documentary in it's entirety for the first time. When I initially watched it, around the time of it's release, I only caught bits and pieces. If you haven't seen this documentary, then you should. I've been stocking up on Jazz albums to jam with ever since.

Cool! Glad to see someone discovering the infinite beauty that can be found in jazz in improvised music. Lots of joy and beauty in your path

drolo

That's great news!
Had been listening to In Rainbows all of last week and was wondering if they were still doing something

Quote from: raulduke on May 09, 2016, 01:43:47 AM
Thom Yorke is starting to look rather old  :o

Yes he is, and to think that OK Computer was only ... what? 20 years ago ...
*david makes note to himself not to go check out pictures of himself from 20 years ago, not ready to go there yet*

In the last scene of that clip with backwards thing I could not help thinking of this ... :

raulduke

They played it on BBC 6 music all the way through last night and I enjoyed it.

I need some time to sit down and really get into it.

It is sounding really different to me so far (in a good way). Strings and piano seem to feature quite prominently.

I might be reading too much into it, but Thom Yorke's split from his partner of 20+ years may also have played a part in the albums general tone.

Radiohead are my favorite band by a mile. Pablo Honey was the first 'real' album I bought when I was 11 or so (on cassette.... eek  :o)

Timko

I've gotten a chance to go through the new Radiohead album about 4 times now (2 last night with friends, and twice today at work with good headphones).  My friends introduced me to OK Computer and The Bends in 1999, and I've never really looked back.  They are far and away my favorite 'big' band.  After they released King of Limbs (which was an amazing album heard live but didn't quite translate as well to the studio for me), I didn't know what direction they were going to go in.  Well, this album is one of the brighter albums they've released in a while, but they're Radiohead, so it's still pretty gloomy :).  The album is their most cohesive release since Kid A, but for me the songs share a lot in common with the sounds found on Amnesiac (which were recorded during the Kid A sessions).  There seems to be a haze over the entire album, like it's dusk or dawn. 

Strings.  And pianos.  In spades. 
Fuzzed out bass lines.  Clean guitars.  And acoustics. 
And so many vintage sounding synthy effects and tape delays.

I think people that want something kinda psychedelic and incredibly well constructed will enjoy this album. 

selfdestroyer

I'm on play through #2 here at work and I am really enjoying it. Headphones tonight.

Cody

lars

Yep. I clicked the, "continue without supporting us" link....

Mojo Fandangle

Quote from: raulduke on May 09, 2016, 01:43:47 AM
New Radiohead album  :)

So far, so good. I definitely prefer it to King of Limbs.

There is some really nice production going on (not many guitars mind).

This video is directed by PT Anderson (There Will be Blood etc.). Thom Yorke is starting to look rather old  :o

My thoughts exactly. Great album. Was losing interest after King Of Limbs and In Rainbows.
Hopefully Thom is okay, he's not looking well but he's sounding as good as ever.

Other stuff I'm Listening to:
King Gizzard and the Lizzard Wizard (Nonagon Infinity)
Bass Drum of Death (self titled)
Beastie Boys (I'm on some sort of mid life crisis Beasties kick atm.  (Licence To I'll & Check Your Head )
"If you don't do it yourself, no-one else will do it yourself"

https://www.youtube.com/user/MarkDally

flanagan0718

Here is something that came up on my Ipod on the way to work this morning. It's been too long. Now i need to go out and find ALL of their vinyl!

davent

Quote from: flanagan0718 on May 20, 2016, 07:14:46 AM
Here is something that came up on my Ipod on the way to work this morning. It's been too long. Now i need to go out and find ALL of their vinyl!

I love my ipod. An old Shuffle filled blind, never know what's on it or what might be coming up next, always neat surprises!

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

alanp

Epic Rap Battles of History -- Tolkien beats Martin, *ANY* day of the week.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

m-Kresol

just got the debut album of "Overhead, The Albatross", a post-rock band from Dublin, Ireland. Amazing what these guys come up with.

I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

drolo