News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

what are you guys listening to at the moment?

Started by the3secondrule, August 25, 2011, 06:36:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

trailer

Quote from: juansolo on February 18, 2019, 11:52:17 AM
I'm a big fan of stoner rock and have tried to get on with Electric Wizard, and I just can't. For some reason it just pushes it's thing that little bit too far.

The new Prodigy sounds interesting. Word has it, the best album since Fat of the Land.

I have tried to get into them as well and just can't. However, every now and then a song will pop up on Spotify that I will be totally into.

Lately I have been listening to a whole bunch of The Hives, Sleep, and Captain, We're Sinking.

somnif

I need an opinion from the crowd. Black Keys recently released a new single. Not bad, as such things go. Not my favorite of their work, but I don't hate it.

But what I'm finding odd is the amount of hate its getting for "ripping off Spirit in the Sky"

I keep seeing this in reviews and comments and I seriously cannot hear it. Sure its a thick gnarly fuzz tone, but... so?

My best guess is they mean the little bridge around 1:08 but.... seriously, if all it takes is a 6 second riff in the middle of a track to be classified as "ripping off" I am utterly baffled.

What do you folks think, are the tracks more similar than my sleep deprived brain is admitting, or are people being strange and confusing.

TFZ

That's just the most basic blues chord progression. You can hear it in a million different songs (Slow Ride, every other ZZ Top song, ...). Sounds like the typical youtube expert comment, I can't imagine any serious reviewer making that statement.

But it sounds cool, I like it. Nice fuzz sound and I also dig the background girls. I really liked their first three albums, for me their output has been going downhill ever since Magic Potion, so before their big breakthrough. This sounds like a good mix of their older sounds with better production without it being way too poppy as other singles I've heard over the last years.

somnif

Quote from: TFZ on April 10, 2019, 02:20:42 AM
But it sounds cool, I like it. Nice fuzz sound and I also dig the background girls. I really liked their first three albums, for me their output has been going downhill ever since Magic Potion, so before their big breakthrough. This sounds like a good mix of their older sounds with better production without it being way too poppy as other singles I've heard over the last years.

I got into them around the time Rubber Factory came out (first concert I ever bought my self tickets to was that tour), still love the early raw Lo-Fi stuff.

But, I honestly loved the opening tracks on "Turn Blue" because they were SO different from their other stuff (Weight of Love and Turn Blue in particular). It let me actually treat it as something distinct and separate from their usual catalog, and dig it in its own right. But then the album turned into more of their usual and it just got kinda dull again.

I'm curious to see how the new album shapes up, but time will tell.

midwayfair

Quote from: somnif on April 09, 2019, 02:36:31 AM
I need an opinion from the crowd. Black Keys recently released a new single. Not bad, as such things go. Not my favorite of their work, but I don't hate it.

But what I'm finding odd is the amount of hate its getting for "ripping off Spirit in the Sky"

I keep seeing this in reviews and comments and I seriously cannot hear it. Sure its a thick gnarly fuzz tone, but... so?

My best guess is they mean the little bridge around 1:08 but.... seriously, if all it takes is a 6 second riff in the middle of a track to be classified as "ripping off" I am utterly baffled.

What do you folks think, are the tracks more similar than my sleep deprived brain is admitting, or are people being strange and confusing.

I hear it in the line ending riff starting around 30 seconds, which isn't exactly a "generic" blues riff, and they use the words "in the sky."

But reviewers read each others' work, or someone says something that gets picked up as received wisdom. It happens with lots of stuff. People stop listening with their ears and start hearing what they've been told they hear.

trailer

Finally saw The Bronx for the first time last night and they are exactly what I hoped for. Those boys are riff monsters with all the cool gear. If you like bands like Turbonegro and The Hives, but wish they sounded like they were addicted to uppers then they are the band for you.

On a side note I have become such a gear snob. I can't go to shows anymore and not inspect what the band is suing and then stick my nose up at them. haha.

bamslam69

1000 Mods
Saw them at Marrickville Factory Theatre last fortnight with about 250 other punters. Nice small room, great sound, epic night of psych & stoner rock.

alanp

Need to watch the rest of this, at some point.

At 5min10sec, check out what pedal is on Fatboy Slim's desk :)
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

Durrioz

Now listening to The Lumineers - Ophelia, really like this band

alanp

- Terry Pratchett
My website

alanp

Never thought I'd see a cover of this song that I like this much.

Seriously talented singer, too.
- Terry Pratchett
My website

midwayfair

Man, that guitar solo was on point, too. That was indeed a good cover.

Leetut