News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

what are you guys listening to at the moment?

Started by the3secondrule, August 25, 2011, 06:36:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

selfdestroyer

Quote from: alanp on July 21, 2014, 01:59:59 AM

Mate from work loaned me Jakob's self-titled CD. Bloody hell this is good stuff, groove for days here!

Also loaned me Twang! A Tribute To Hank Marvin And The Shadows. Blackmore and May's tracks were quite underwhelming, especially compared to Knopfler and Iommi.

Thanks for this AlanP, just grabbed this album and I love it. Great stuff.

Cody

RobA

Just discovered these guys a couple of days ago. They were playing at a venue not too far from me, but I couldn't make the show. I looked them up on the 'tube to see if they'd be worth going to see. I've pretty much been sitting here listening and blown away since.

Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rock•it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

micromegas

Quote from: RobA on July 28, 2014, 02:19:36 PM
Just discovered these guys a couple of days ago. They were playing at a venue not too far from me, but I couldn't make the show. I looked them up on the 'tube to see if they'd be worth going to see. I've pretty much been sitting here listening and blown away since.

This guys are awesome. Their version of Scapegoat Blues (Jimmy Herring) is almost better than the original.
'My favorite programming language is solder' - Bob Pease

Software Developer @ bela.io

micromegas

Went to San Sebastian to see this guys on Wednesday:

What a band! Astounding cohesion, tempo and feeling, plus they know how to make the audience move.

I slept in the car, but it was worth.

davent

Rarely pay any attention to lyrics but Patterson Hood's stories and characters are too delicious to ignore, also love the splatty compressed guitar that weaves it's way throughout.

"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

GrindCustoms

I like some Converge and old Norma Jean «noise core» stuff... last week as i was scrolling in an old external HD i stumbled on this album that i had totally forgot... some might say that it was a good thing  to forget it.... but i just can't stop listening to it.

The intro is realllllly long, once it kicks in.. it KICKS! Love that stuff.. very dark and some of the riffing is plain amazing (for the genre).

Killing Unicorns, day after day...

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/

RobA

Quote from: GrindCustoms on July 31, 2014, 08:12:46 PM
I like some Converge and old Norma Jean «noise core» stuff... last week as i was scrolling in an old external HD i stumbled on this album that i had totally forgot... some might say that it was a good thing  to forget it.... but i just can't stop listening to it.

The intro is realllllly long, once it kicks in.. it KICKS! Love that stuff.. very dark and some of the riffing is plain amazing (for the genre).

Heavy? Dark? No, this stuff is the material at the very heart of a black hole. I like it! Actually, I normally really don't like the grunting, yelling, screaming, low vocals, but there's something about these that are different. I can't really say what it is and I can't imagine what it does to his throat to do this. Good stuff.
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rock•it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

RobA

Quote from: micromegas on July 28, 2014, 02:24:54 PM
Went to San Sebastian to see this guys on Wednesday:

What a band! Astounding cohesion, tempo and feeling, plus they know how to make the audience move.

I slept in the car, but it was worth.
Nice! I bet it was very much worth it. According to Wiki, they've got about 40 members, and they are tight with a groove. It had to be a great show. The drummer kills it.

alanp

Quote from: davent on July 31, 2014, 06:25:42 PM
Rarely pay any attention to lyrics but Patterson Hood's stories and characters are too delicious to ignore, also love the splatty compressed guitar that weaves it's way throughout.

I like that one. The accent sounds kinda twisty-throaty-American, I dunno, kind of a throat centered dip on the first syllable of long words... plus the guitar is tasty :)
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

micromegas

Man, Bill Frisell is my favourite guitarist with no doubt (and my gf loves him too!). I can wait for his new disc to be released:

alanp

Quote from: micromegas on August 01, 2014, 02:15:05 PM
Man, Bill Frisell is my favourite guitarist with no doubt (and my gf loves him too!). I can wait for his new disc to be released:

Huh, I kinda expected the first youtube clip to have a very strong Dylan Carlson Earth 'feel' to it. Nice enough song for country, the singer is definitely talented.

The second clip, OTOH, is not available "in your country". I've never understood the rationale behind that -- all I get is this xenophobic "We kant let dem faahners a-listen tah AUR mooo-sic!"
- Terry Pratchett
My website

RobA

Quote from: alanp on August 01, 2014, 08:46:48 PM
[...]
The second clip, OTOH, is not available "in your country". I've never understood the rationale behind that -- all I get is this xenophobic "We kant let dem faahners a-listen tah AUR mooo-sic!"

Probably due to licensing and who owns the various different rights. We used a small clip from a commercially released song in a charity related video and even with the very generous help of the artist, it took a bunch of work and letter writing to get the ability to use it in all the markets. Each market had to be done separately. Youtube may have a complaint for the copyright in some markets on that video.

alanp

Reminds me of the old region locking for DVDs.

End result of that was that cheap Chinese DVD players with NO region code sold better than expensive singing and dancing ones that could only play one region.

Also reminds me of how NZ used to (read: USED TO) get TV series one or two (or three) years AFTER the rest of the world. TVNZ and TV3 cottoned on to the fact that they were losing viewers who didn't want to wait a year (and downloaded the show instead), so now we get series in a slightly more timely fashion.

The world has become global.
- Terry Pratchett
My website

RobA

Quote from: alanp on August 01, 2014, 09:15:57 PM
The world has become global.

Yep, especially for the arts and creative works in general, but some businesses still don't see it that way.

On the subject of Frisell (one of my favs too), I thought this was a fun clip,