News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

A/B Box

Started by thetrend77, August 29, 2011, 02:15:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thetrend77

Could someone tell me how I would go about making an A/B box with 2 inputs and 1 output? Every one I've found online has been for 1 input and 2 outputs.

I want to use it to have 2 guitars going into one amp, that way I can just switch guitars and stomp on a switch instead of having to change my cable every time.

Myramyd

If you just want a passive A/B box then plug it in "backwards" to do what you want to do--i.e. outputs become inputs, input becomes the output. Wires are wires.

http://www.beavisaudio.com/projects/ABSwitches/

J

thetrend77

Yeah I saw that page, but I didn't know you could plug them in "backwards" lol

So that last one on there, with the dual LED indicators would work like I'm wanting it to?

jkokura

Yes, an A/B box will work either way as long as it's passive. If it's active it may not work either way.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

Myramyd

I don't see why not. I used to use an old DOD A/B box to do what you are talking about. It would have been of the 1st design.

You are adding extra wires where you don't "need" them so as long as you have a buffer somewhere soon thereafter you won't get any tone suck.

I had thought about building one for this purpose but sticking a buffer before the output (after the switch). So in that plan, it would intercept the blue wire with the input going to the switch and the output going to the tip of the "input" jack (as labelled there). But after that it would only be used in that direction--2 to 1.

J

jkokura

I would build the buffer in a separate box if I thought I might use it the other way around (1 to 2).

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals