News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

JHS BOSS collab

Started by artstomp, September 08, 2017, 03:51:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Muadzin

Quote from: culturejam on September 11, 2017, 06:28:04 AM
I see a distinction in this case, but I acknowledge that others may not. When I first started getting into FSB, I saw everything boutique as expensive copies of old stuff (with a few notable exceptions). Then I started ripping things apart myself and analyzing things, and in *some* cases I could see some thought/nuance. And now, my view is that circuit design is actually the easiest part of a commercial pedal operation; design manufacturing, customer support, marketing, vendor relations, cash flow management, bookkeeping, and all that shit is much more challenging and it never goes away. And I think that's why guys who are good at the latter survive and flourish, even if they totally phone it on the former. Having a great original idea alone is not enough.

I think that basically that applies to music in general as well. It's not good enough to just have a good song, or just be a good musician. The world is full of good music and good musicians that nobody has heard about. There is however no shortage of bad to average musicians who are very successful in the music industry, because they are good at all the other aspects that go into being successful.

flanagan0718

Quote from: culturejam on September 10, 2017, 01:15:26 PM
Quote from: lars on September 09, 2017, 10:38:30 PM
Question:  What happened to the JB-1?

It was codenamed "Crunchbox".

lol

Honestly i am 150% underwhelmed. Wait so BOSS is gonna put out another over drive / dynamic distortion / boost pedal. WOW i never would have guessed (sarcasm implied). Yawn, wake me when they put out something cool.

Rockhorst

Actually, Boss has tried many cool and unusual things and...they just don't sell. Somehow, newly marketed overdrives create a hype that other effects just don't.

culturejam

Just wanted to let you guys know that Function f(x) will be offering an official mod service for the BOSS JB-2, complete with a large, garish sticker to complete the metaphorical territorial pissing.

Look for that this fall.

j/k     ...........................  probably
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

movinginslomo

someone on TGP (I lurk sometimes and laugh) wondered if JHS would offer a mod for this. Lol

But you know, as hard as it is to run a successful pedal business, it really takes a Kirk Hammet to do it right, being a guitar player and all  ::)

drezdn

Is the Crayon based on another pedal?

thesmokingman

it is believed that due to the guy's inability to innovate that the colour box (and by extension the crayon) is based on an existing diy neve preamp. I'm not even worried about being right about that. if I am not then kudos for finally coming up with something on your own.
once upon a time I was Tornado Alley FX

mremic01

I've been curious about how the Colour Box is supposed to work. Isn't the idea to get the sound of plugging straight into the board? Then wouldn't there be no filtering from the cabinet? How do you recreate that when running through an amp with a cab? Maybe with some sort of reverse cabsim?

Frank_NH

Quote from: culturejam on September 12, 2017, 01:37:42 PM
Just wanted to let you guys know that Function f(x) will be offering an official mod service for the BOSS JB-2, complete with a large, garish sticker to complete the metaphorical territorial pissing.

Look for that this fall.

I suppose this mod will be to convert the JB-2 to sound like an original Blues Driver by eliminating the Angry Charlie circuit... ;D

culturejam

Quote from: Frank_NH on September 14, 2017, 07:13:46 PM
Quote from: culturejam on September 12, 2017, 01:37:42 PM

Look for that this fall.

I suppose mod this will be to convert the JB-2 to sound like an original Blues Driver by eliminating the Angry Charlie circuit... ;D

Exactly. It will be called "JB2 Minus 1"
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

287m

Until now, haven't heard a good sounding demo of this pedal in youtube.
what wrong with me? hahaha

somnif

I suppose mod this will be to convert the JB-2 to sound like an original Blues Driver by eliminating the Angry Charlie circuit... ;D

So an extra hundred bucks to mod the pedal... by turning the right side knob to "Boss" and cutting the shaft off.

I can actually believe that.

icecycle66

Quote from: somnif on September 14, 2017, 11:45:55 PM

So an extra hundred bucks to mod the pedal... by turning the right side knob to "Boss" and cutting the shaft off.

Oooohhhhhhh daaaaaaaaammmmmmmnn.