News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Oh man oh man, Joe Bonamassa

Started by jimilee, December 05, 2017, 07:19:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimilee

So, my wife got me tickets to see Joe Bonamassa last night, it was very cool. I know I know, as far as blues, he's not ground breaking, he's just a good solid player, but I like him for what he is. First blues show. The pics suck, but it was a great time, 29 rows back. Anton Fig on drums, Carmine Rojas on Bass and Reese Wynans on keys. Great group of seasoned veterans. Here he is playing Amos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

pickdropper

Joe catches a lot of flack on TGP, but he seems like a nice enough guy.  He posts on the Les Paul Forum fairly regularly.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

diablochris6

I saw JB a few years back at a real nice venue. Unfortunately, the place was only half full, but he played it like it was a packed house. He blew the roof off the place for 20 minutes before introducing himself. I have no complaints of his style, and he seems to really loves what he does.
Build guides of my original designs and modifications here

jimilee

Quote from: diablochris6 on December 05, 2017, 08:31:31 PM
I saw JB a few years back at a real nice venue. Unfortunately, the place was only half full, but he played it like it was a packed house. He blew the roof off the place for 20 minutes before introducing himself. I have no complaints of his style, and he seems to really loves what he does.
Same here, it was somewhat of an older crowd, and some left the later it got. He played a solid 2 hours.

Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

aion

It says a lot about how 2017 has gone so far that my first thought when seeing your thread title was "Oh no, another one died?"

Glad that was not the case :)

chuckd666

"I've really gotten over pedals. I can't keep up with this craze of boutique pedals that make you sound like everything but your guitar. I can't get my head around it. So you don't want to play a guitar [properly] so you buy a box that makes it sound like an algorithm, like you just fired up your computer and you can spend the night staring at your fuckin' shoes? C'mon man...

"I know I'll get shit for saying this, but it's fucking lazy. It's insulting to people who spent 35 years playing and learning, like a lot of players. And we continue to work at it! These guys can barely play a chord but call themselves soundscapists. Get the fuck outta here! It's bullshit. There's so much masking and spin going on there. Can we get real for a minute? What do you actually play? Pick up an acoustic guitar... try that!"

OK JOE WHATEVER YOU SAY

Muadzin

Quote from: chuckd666 on December 06, 2017, 07:05:06 PM
"I've really gotten over pedals. I can't keep up with this craze of boutique pedals that make you sound like everything but your guitar. I can't get my head around it. So you don't want to play a guitar [properly] so you buy a box that makes it sound like an algorithm, like you just fired up your computer and you can spend the night staring at your fuckin' shoes? C'mon man...

"I know I'll get shit for saying this, but it's fucking lazy. It's insulting to people who spent 35 years playing and learning, like a lot of players. And we continue to work at it! These guys can barely play a chord but call themselves soundscapists. Get the fuck outta here! It's bullshit. There's so much masking and spin going on there. Can we get real for a minute? What do you actually play? Pick up an acoustic guitar... try that!"

OK JOE WHATEVER YOU SAY

So he's a blues guitarist and a snob? Two reasons why I won't bother to listen to him. Which is a shame because I'm always willing to respect talent, even when I hate the style of music.

jimilee

He's only in it for the money, not the music. I'd watch interviews, he will say. I don't care though, I don't want to date him.

pickdropper

Folks can have opinions, that doesn't bother me too much.  Sometimes people come across poorly in interviews.

I am curious what he's going to do with all his signature pedals, tho.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

Scruffie

If I based my listening preferences on what musicians say/believe/do i'd be down to about 3 albums on rotation. Although Morrissey is really, really trying to make me stop listening to The Smiths.

Quote from: pickdropper on December 07, 2017, 06:48:51 PM

I don't take it from that interview that he's saying he'll never use a pedal again, just that he'll go back to a more basic and functional set up than he might have had before and stop chasing the next best thing from the infinite number of boutique pedals.

I've got one of Joe's albums, I don't care if it's ground breaking or a money grab, he's got a nice tone and some decent tunes. Sometimes cash grab film remakes can turn out pretty awesome.
Works at Lectric-FX

jimilee

Quote from: Scruffie on December 08, 2017, 03:25:35 AM
If I based my listening preferences on what musicians say/believe/do i'd be down to about 3 albums on rotation. Although Morrissey is really, really trying to make me stop listening to The Smiths.

Quote from: pickdropper on December 07, 2017, 06:48:51 PM

I don't take it from that interview that he's saying he'll never use a pedal again, just that he'll go back to a more basic and functional set up than he might have had before and stop chasing the next best thing from the infinite number of boutique pedals.

I've got one of Joe's albums, I don't care if it's ground breaking or a money grab, he's got a nice tone and some decent tunes. Sometimes cash grab film remakes can turn out pretty awesome.
This

TNblueshawk

I think I've got ever album Joe has done including the ones with Beth Hart and Rock Candy Funk Party. Frankly, he is one of the greatest guitar players I've ever heard from both an electric and acoustic viewpoint. In my view there is not a single thing you could ask him to play on either guitar that he could not play. Name it? Slide, chord changes/rhythm, finger pick, whatever. (Ok I know some classical dude will jump in and name some amazing piece  :D ) Got me.

Some people like a lot of notes and some like the old 'less is more' ie. BB King. I love it all. Why does it have to be one or the other. Having said that Joe is perfectly capable of laying back and letting some air in between notes however I just don't think that is what gets his rocks off most of the time.

Not liking his music is another discussion and that is cool. Whatever you dig.  Him not being one of the greatest because someone doesn't like his music is a false premise in my view.

Anyway, just my 2 cents. I love the guy and love his demeanor. I've listened to many interviews over the years and he is not a snob and purist, at least not historically. Maybe he is getting grumpier, dunno. The pedals comments, well, I need a little more context as to the interview as a whole and what the situation was. Did someone bait him with a question so he fired off an opinion? It sounded to me like he had someone in particular in mind with those stinging comments so he was venting. Dunno. I know for a fact he has used pedals but he sure doesn't need to.
John

brianq41369

Anyhow, I'm glad you enjoyed the show jimilee, he's got some rather tasty leads from what I've heard from him.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jimilee

Quote from: brianq41369 on December 17, 2017, 08:53:03 PM
Anyhow, I'm glad you enjoyed the show jimilee, he's got some rather tasty leads from what I've heard from him.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Thank you sir.

gordo

I've been a fan since I saw one of his first tours.  He was doing public school sit ins to promote the blues as a somewhat dying art form, especially with black youth.

Like Jeff Beck, you really have to see him live to understand his sound.

I've not known him to put his foot in his mouth but I suppose it could happen.  When the other guys in Black Country Communion started to act like rock stars he shut the band down to protect his staff from being overworked "herding cats".  Most of his peeps have been with him since he could afford to take them on.  He's a work-a-holic that makes you wonder if he has any life outside of the guitar.  Kevin Shirley is his wingman and totally responsible for changing him from the black t-shirt crowd to his current multi-generation fan base that includes as many women as men.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?