News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Duplex Drive

Started by drsteel, January 23, 2018, 03:15:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drsteel

I'm trying to get a little more serious about my building in 2018, so I'm de-lurking to share a build for the first time with this great community. This is actually a few months old, but perhaps the one I'm most proud of after about a year or so of burning my fingertips with this new hobby! It's a Duplex Drive based on electricb's wonderful PCB. Perhaps the most ambitious board I've ever populated, and so I was incredibly chuffed when everything worked first time (unusual for me). Also my first attempt at silkscreening an enclosure (been etching with mixed results before).

cajone5

Really nice work outside and in.  Really like the graphics w/ the plain box and clear knobs.

Adam_DIY

Love it.  That sir is  8)

drsteel

matmosphere

Nicely done. Very clean  inside and out. If you are getting more serious about building then I can't imagine what things will look like later this year.  ;D

Excellent choice of artwork for the circuit!

Aleph Null

Looks great! The silk screen reminds me of old ZVex graphics; looks really sharp.

stringsthings

That's a very good build.  Superb graphics.

( reminds me ... I need to go back and tweek my build )
All You Need Is Love

Philthy

drsteel

Thanks, all!

Me too, stringsthings! I socketed the cap and the two resistors that warriorpoet recommended to you back in the group buy thread—had actually forgotten about it until you mentioned tweaking it...

stringsthings

Just found my old build and plugged in a tele-type.  For some reason, I quite like the darker sound
and the contrast with the brighter side.  ( not sure what guitar I originally plugged into the build ).
So I think I'll keep it as it is for now.  I wonder if I was "expecting" some sort of sound when the build
was new.  Enough time has passed that I was listening to it with fresh ears. 

I do need to solder in the diodes (D1,D2) .  They're in sockets and kind of loose.  I'm pretty sure I used 1N60P's.
All You Need Is Love

selfdestroyer

GIANT DIODE FOR THE WIN!

With that out of the way, I love the artwork. The colors are so vivid!

Clean build for sure.

Cody

drsteel

Haha—oh man, that giant diode. I don't recall where I got those, but getting that to fit was an adventure! I still have 9 more on a reel that I don't know I'll ever find a use for.

Thanks for the kind words!

selfdestroyer

Quote from: drsteel on February 01, 2018, 06:35:24 PM
Haha—oh man, that giant diode. I don't recall where I got those, but getting that to fit was an adventure! I still have 9 more on a reel that I don't know I'll ever find a use for.

Thanks for the kind words!

I have a few around also, the adventures of ordering from Mouser. You miss read one number in the datasheet and next thing you know you are ankles deep in huge parts.

Cody

EBK

I have to agree that the giant diode is epic.   ;D
I've only succeeded in accidentally ordering large capacitors, but I think I need to intentionally get some of those diodes!  Imagine what one would look like in a 1590A build.  8)

Edit:  I'm STILL obsessed with that giant diode.   ::)
I now really want to create a layout for a surface mount op amp chip surrounded by giant discrete parts.   ;)
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

Boba7

Wow that looks fantastic! Congrats!