News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

EQD Organizer

Started by gordo, February 04, 2018, 02:17:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gordo

Honestly, I have no idea how I'll use this except that in front (or behind) an overdrive this thing sounds pretty whacked.

A PedalPCB board loaded into a 125B with a manipulated ripoff of the EQD graphics.  I ran out of "BuGG boards" (PPCB 3PDT pcb's) which make anybody look like a wiring superstar so I wired it straight.  Might be influence from the current wave of BOTY but I did my best to make this look intentional.  Normally I don't care, it's for my stash, but I'm shamed into getting a bit more serious about this stuff.

The current stock of SB decal stock is probably the best I've used.  It's a bitch (Zigcat I check myself everytime I use that word now...good for you to open eyes) to get the film off the front but this stuff is terrific.  Draped over a LMS white powdercoat 125B it's really easy to get repeatable results.

I went thru a sparkle phase (Jimi) and I might be getting to the end of a "Clone graphics" phase but this one was a no brainer.

Bonus:  Once you've done any sort of SMT the fear factor goes way down so doing FV-1's or the PIC chip is easy.  I use a hot iron to prep the board by preloading the pads with a bit of solder. Then turn the heat down a tad and using blu-tak or painters tape to hold the chip down hit each of the legs quickly but firmly with solder and the iron.  It should melt into the pad instantly.

Yeah, I know, I'm not sold on the knobs either but they'll do in a pinch.  The green LED looks nice but makes the blue knobs look even worse.  Bummer...
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

blearyeyes

Really CLEAN inside and out.  The knob thing is a Bitch,  I mean,   yea different knobs. Super Clean!  Very nice.. Drives me to do better!

blearyeyes

I should get one of those SMT practice kits.

somnif

The FV-1-sized SMT doesn't worry me. Its the ridiculously tiny "oops I breathed" sized parts that get me. Like trying to fit 9 SOT363 packages and 2 resistors onto a 1 square centimeter board.... ugh.

thomasha

wow always wanted to build something like that and play all evil Dracula organ songs with guitar.

It probably needs the right coding to work, and the kit to save the code to the chip right? You just soldered to the programing kit, desoldered and resoldered it?

gordo

Yeah me too but once you've done a few and realize it's not "quite" so bad.  I got parts to do the NoMoFo board and I was fearless after that. 
Gordy Power

gordo

Straight up PedalPCB build.
Gordy Power

somnif

Quote from: thomasha on February 04, 2018, 02:29:33 PM
wow always wanted to build something like that and play all evil Dracula organ songs with guitar.

It probably needs the right coding to work, and the kit to save the code to the chip right? You just soldered to the programing kit, desoldered and resoldered it?

The FV-1 chip itself is pre-coded by the manufacturer and can't be re-written, and the EEPROM comes pre-loaded with the Organizer code from PedalPCB. Its plug and play baby!

Adam_DIY

Looks awesome I really like it.  If you're not digging the knobs how about trying clear ones? 

mjg

wow, that is super clean inside!

Leevibe

That is a hot looking build man. I'm glad you wired it straight. Much cooler that way, and you nailed it!

drsteel

Dang! Super clean, looks great.

Am I the only one who prefers both the work of wiring the 3PDT traditionally and the way it looks after? Your wiring is what I hope mine will look like one day!

gordo

Thanks folks. I flip flop on using switch boards. This layout is a bit easier with short wire runs and I spent some time trying to make it look pretty.
Gordy Power

TheDude

Very nice and clean! My knob suggestion would be white, but I tend to keep things looking conservative if they're unplanned

Sent from my LGLS755 using Tapatalk

The dude abides

stringsthings

I think it looks great.  And I like/prefer those blue knobs.
All You Need Is Love