News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

4:1 - I lifted a pad ...

Started by brucer, February 24, 2018, 09:16:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brucer

Hi All.  In building a 4:1 I somehow got a little sloppy with solder and infilled one of the pads for R2 (see red dot below):

Things went from bad to worse when I lifted the infilled R2 pad on the component side of the board while removing the excess solder.

I didn't test continuity before my mishap, so looking for advice:

Looking at the schematic, I'm thinking I should have continuity from one side of R2 to the positive side of C10 ... and I do.  [Yay!!]

However, it also looks like I should have continuity from the other side of R2 (red dot) to pin 3 of IC 1 and one side of C1.  Unfortunately, I don't.  There's continuity from pin 3 of IC 1 to one side of C1, but neither has continuity with R2. 

Does this mean I've burned out the red dot side of R2?  Can I fix this by soldering a jumper between that point (red dot) and pin 3 of IC1? 

Any observations or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

diablochris6

Looking at the build doc picture with the red and blue PCB traces, your red dot on R2 is what should connect to C10. The other pad is what connects to the IC and C1.
Build guides of my original designs and modifications here

somnif

Looks like it should connect with the north side of R16 and pin 3 of chip 2 on one side, north side of R17 and pin 5 of IC1 (and C10 and R4) on the other side.

What I usually do for a lifted pad (and by usually, I mean twice) is take a stranded copper wire, strip a good inch of insulation, unwind it and cut single strands out. Then I play wire-wrap with that to repair the missing leads, then solder stuff, then give the strand a coat of clear nail-varnish. Looks funky, but protects it from minor bumps and from wiggling around too much.

brucer

ARGH!  You're right guys, I colored the wrong R2 pad.  Thanks for the correction and repair tips.  Much appreciated.