News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Identifying a fuzz tone

Started by somnif, March 04, 2018, 09:44:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

somnif

So, heard a track on the radio today, and really digging the tone. Dark silky fuzz, layered with a touch of reverb. Unfortunately, can't find a damn thing about his pedal board.

The track:

Sounds like... My Morning Jacket producing a Nick Drake fronted Pink Floyd album. Sorta.

I'm not terribly adept at telling one flavor of fuzz from another, so if anyone has any clues, I'd appreciate it.

thesameage

Ralfg

Friend of mine showed me this Ray LaMontange album. It's a pretty great fuzz tone. I found some comment somewhere, believe it was Ray himself who made the comment, and he said it was a Marshall Supa Fuzz.

I actually built one with some Oc75s and yeah totally nails the tone. Rad sounding fuzz.
Dr. Von Fuzzbrauer @ Rocket Surgeon Effects Pedals
https://www.smallspacesband.com/

micromegas

I freaking love Ray LaMontagne. Played a couple of songs of one of his oldest albums at a Xmas party this year and got hooked.
My favourite songs of his are from "God Willin' & The Creek Don't Rise". I think that album is magnificently produced. Greg Leisz & Eric Heywood lines are just perfect.

The other guitarist in that track is Jim James from My Morning Jacket. He is known for using a ZVEX Wooly Mammoth and it could perfectly be that one you are hearing IMO.

Wether it is Jim or Ray playing that line on that song I don't know
'My favorite programming language is solder' - Bob Pease

Software Developer @ bela.io

somnif

Quote from: micromegas on March 05, 2018, 09:36:04 AM
The other guitarist in that track is Jim James from My Morning Jacket.

Looking it up, apparently he produced the album as well. Certainly explains why I thought it sounded very My Morning Jacket-y.

Of the two ideas tossed out so far, I hope its the wooly mammoth over the supafuzz. 2$ in components vs hunting down a matched set of Mullards....  ;D