News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Pedalpcb Octagon with expression jack

Started by bsoncini, March 07, 2018, 11:46:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bsoncini

I normally don't post my builds here because I like them to look diy and crappy but this one might take the cake.  I mounted the pedal and left the painters tape that I used to mark the holes.  Afterwards, I thought, who gives a f#ck. If there was an award for ugliest pedal of the year this might win.   Anyways, I'm posting because I added a 3p4t rotary switch and an expression jack so that I can choose from no expression jack and controlling pot 1, 2 or 3.  I will explain what I did so that in case anyone wants to do this.  I already posted this in the pedal pcb demos thread but this might be easier to find for interested folks.

Some of the highlights for me with the expression jack.  Controlling the delay time in normal delay mode.  Controlling the pitch shift in pitch delay mode.  Controlling the crush in bit crush mode.  Controlling the filter in bit crush mode, a sort of bit crush wah sound.  Controlling the pitch shift in pitch shift mode.  Controlling the mix switch in dual pitch shift mode to ping pong between a bassy and trebly pitch shift (this will make the girlfriends run out of the room).  It works well controlling all pots in the tremolo.

If you wanna know what I did.

Pad 2 of pot 1 on PCB to A on rotary
Pad2 of pot 2 on PCB to B on rotary
Pad 2 of pot 3 on PCB to C on rorary

Lug 2 of pot 1 to 1,3 and 4 on rotary.
Lug 2 of pot 2 to 5,6 and 8 on rotary
Lug 2 of pot 3 to 9,10 and 11 on rotary

Pin 2, 7 and 12 to middle lug of expression jack.

Take the 3v3 from lug 3 of the nearest pot to one of the outer lugs of the expression jack. Take ground from pin 1 from from same pot to other outer expression lug.

It's probably obvious but don't connect lug 2 of the 3 pots to the PCB

Hope this helps anyone who may be interested

This will probably work with any other pedalpcb fv1 pedals as long as the pots are just voltage dividers between 3v3 and ground

dropanchor812

Awesome idea!  I've been so curious to know how this circuit sounds, and I haven't messed with Fv-1 yet.  Great job!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blearyeyes

gordo

If painter's tape is an artistic expression you've nailed it :-)

I rock that in a heartbeat, very nice work pushing the limits on this one.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

blearyeyes

bsoncini

Quote from: dropanchor812 on March 07, 2018, 12:10:01 PM
Awesome idea!  I've been so curious to know how this circuit sounds, and I haven't messed with Fv-1 yet.  Great job!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is my first time doing a fv-1 circuit also and smd for that matter. I'm pleasantly surprised with the sound quality. The reverb can get pretty cavernous (a good thing for me), the delay is cleaner/brighter than most pt2399 circuits, the pitch shifter works really well also. A great pedal even before I did the mod. Plenty of different sounds to be had.

I'm looking forward to what other kinds of fv-1 circuits pedalpcb comes out with in the future.

Boba7

Really cool and inspiring. I can't wait to build my first FV1 pedal (ADT from Pedalpcb on its way!)

stringsthings

That doesn't look bad at all!  The tape may look a bit ratty after some time, but it looks fine now.
You could always throw a few quick coats of clear to seal it up.  I've got some drolo boards with the FV-1 that need building.
All You Need Is Love

bsoncini

I figured I would add this new build to this build report since it is almost the same pedal.  This time the d3lay.  Same thing.  Added expression jack to control either pot 1, 2, 3 or none.  I also added buffered bypass with tails and put a momentary switch to do echo punch ins when the pedal isn't activated. The tape and space delay modes are sweet.

ryanisradd

That's rad as heck, cool build. What did you use for the buffered bypass w/ trails? I was thinking the 3verb would be very neat with trails but didn't know where to go from there.  It'd be cool to have the D3lay with trails set up to repeat infinitely so after you turned it off the delays would repeat and you could play over them and then mess with the delay time via an expression pedal. I'll be posting a build soon of the Octagon I built that has a momentary expression switch. I used two DPDT toggles to select which pot is being used. These pedals are super fun, I programmed my first EEPROM yesterday so I'm excited to get into spinCAD.
Affiliations: I work for Chase Bliss Audio making things with lots of DIP switches.

bsoncini

Quote from: ryanisradd on May 07, 2018, 07:39:37 AM
That's rad as heck, cool build. What did you use for the buffered bypass w/ trails? I was thinking the 3verb would be very neat with trails but didn't know where to go from there.  It'd be cool to have the D3lay with trails set up to repeat infinitely so after you turned it off the delays would repeat and you could play over them and then mess with the delay time via an expression pedal. I'll be posting a build soon of the Octagon I built that has a momentary expression switch. I used two DPDT toggles to select which pot is being used. These pedals are super fun, I programmed my first EEPROM yesterday so I'm excited to get into spinCAD.

What I did for the buffered bypass I took from a madbean schematic of an old aquaboy deluxe pedal.  I put wires in place of c3. One of the wires goes to a 220nf cap nother side of the 220nf goes to the stomp switch and the momentary in my case. There is also a 100k resistor to ground that connects to that side of the cap. Then another 220nf cap with 100k to ground and a wire to the stomp switch. The other side of this cap is the other wires that goes to c3.

It works real well. No noise at all when activated.

The 3verb boards are exactly the same. So you could try that. There might be a better way to do this but it was the first I tried and worked perfectly.

I would really like to learn how to program some of these things. But looking at spincad I was lost. Thinking what the hell is a smoother.

ryanisradd

What I did for the buffered bypass I took from a madbean schematic of an old aquaboy deluxe pedal.  Input wires in place of c3. One of the wires goes to a 220nf cap nother side of the 220nf goes to the stomp switch and the momentary in my case. There is also a 100k resistor to ground that connects to that side of the cap. Then another 220nf cap with 100k to ground and a wire to the stomp switch. The other side of this cap is the other wires that goes to c3.

The 3verb boards are exactly the same. So you could try that. There might be a better way to do this but it was the first I tried and worked perfectly.

I would really like to learn how to program some of these things. But looking at spincad I was lost. Thinking what the hell is a smoother.
[/quote]

Yeah, I tried to find some tutorials online and didn't find much. So I ended up downloading some patches people shared at the spinCAD forum and messed around with them to get a bit of an understanding on how it works. Hopefully with some more tinkering I can figure it out. My wife also knows some Java programming so maybe she can write some code from the ground up!

Thanks for the buffer info, I'm going to try that out for sure!

Affiliations: I work for Chase Bliss Audio making things with lots of DIP switches.

bsoncini

Quote from: ryanisradd on May 08, 2018, 09:47:39 AM

What I did for the buffered bypass I took from a madbean schematic of an old aquaboy deluxe pedal.  Input wires in place of c3. One of the wires goes to a 220nf cap nother side of the 220nf goes to the stomp switch and the momentary in my case. There is also a 100k resistor to ground that connects to that side of the cap. Then another 220nf cap with 100k to ground and a wire to the stomp switch. The other side of this cap is the other wires that goes to c3.

Yeah, I tried to find some tutorials online and didn't find much. So I ended up downloading some patches people shared at the spinCAD forum and messed around with them to get a bit of an understanding on how it works. Hopefully with some more tinkering I can figure it out. My wife also knows some Java programming so maybe she can write some code from the ground up!

Thanks for the buffer info, I'm going to try that out for sure!
[/quote]

Watch out. My phone autocorrected what wanted. I meant to say I put wires instead of c3 not input wire at c3.

p_wats

Woah! I would love to have tails on my Octagon for the shimmer reverb. Any idea if the boards are similar enough to achieve the same result as with your D3lay?

bsoncini

Quote from: p_wats on September 04, 2018, 09:50:14 AM
Woah! I would love to have tails on my Octagon for the shimmer reverb. Any idea if the boards are similar enough to achieve the same result as with your D3lay?

Im almost positive that it would work for the reverb. I think almost all his fv1 circuits are the same and it's just the programming that changes.