News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

How would you mod pedals for active bass?

Started by blearyeyes, April 02, 2018, 12:37:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blearyeyes

I haven't played my bass much lately but trying it out, I never reconciled active preamp to pedals.. How would I approach modding a pedal to work properly?

thesmokingman

such a generalized question ... I don't think you'd get much out of a generalized answer ... can you be more specific in what pedal you're looking to mod?
once upon a time I was Tornado Alley FX

jimilee

Quote from: thesmokingman on April 02, 2018, 01:28:37 PM
such a generalized question ... I don't think you'd get much out of a generalized answer ... can you be more specific in what pedal you're looking to mod?
this^^^^^^^
Most of them, you wouldn't have to, overdrives are the biggest exception I've found. There are several fuzzes that sound better with a bass. I haven't missed any of mine outside of a klon. Lectric-fx, jmk, byoc, and guitarpcb all have great bass overdrives and or filters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

blearyeyes

I have a Zerconia that I used the Bass BOM on and it is not usable due to distortion and general unhappiness with the active signal. I have a Ibanez BTB with active electronics and I never thought about the active electronics until I fired it up.. OH yeah! 

Boba7

blearyeyes

jimilee

Quote from: blearyeyes on April 02, 2018, 01:56:11 PM
I have a Zerconia that I used the Bass BOM on and it is not usable due to distortion and general unhappiness with the active signal. I have a Ibanez BTB with active electronics and I never thought about the active electronics until I fired it up.. OH yeah!
That's an awesome bass.

Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

blearyeyes

I Really have to get it set up properly. It has double truss rods and feels flappy/buzzy right now with the action higher than I like.  Maybe heavier gauge strings.

blearyeyes

jimilee

Nah, heavier just presents a bunch of other issues. That is a thing of beauty. What amp you running?

blearyeyes

Using it direct for recording but would love to get a small rig someday.

jimilee

Quote from: blearyeyes on April 02, 2018, 05:04:41 PM
Using it direct for recording but would love to get a small rig someday.
That's a hell of a guitar for recording, nice. Pickups like that need a big rig if you were to get one. Although, markbass makes a great little 700 watt 2x10 combo. The wattage handles the low end with clarity, even at low volumes.

blearyeyes

Just in case someone else runs into this, running the Zirconium @ 18v make its work fine with my active bass.

Thanks Boba7!