News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Auto wah type filter with reverse?

Started by jimilee, July 28, 2018, 06:43:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimilee

Does a simple filter with reverse exist? The filter would close instead of open when a chord or note is struck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

somnif

Just take an autowah and plug it in backwards!

...that's logical, right?

reddesert

Do you mean a filter that sweeps down in frequency instead of up?  One of the common mods for the old MXR envelope filter is to add an up/down switch.  There is a Tonepad project for it, and a schematic at GGG: http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/wp-content/uploads/ggg_mxr_envelope_filter_mods.pdf - the mod is the "reverse sweep." Smallbear sells the tonepad PCB if you want one (old school single sided PCB).

This mod is possible because of the interesting way the MXR does the filtering - it uses pulse width modulation of a clock signal at ultrasonic frequency, and that signal opens/closes a gate to effectively vary resistance and change the bandpass frequency of the filter. The reverse sweep mod  inverts the clock, so the PWM makes the filter go down instead of up. I am building one of these using the Tonepad layout on perfboard (which is a little nuts). I haven't finished it yet, but I do have the clock running, which is sometimes tricky apparently, and modulating the filter.

alanp

Jimi, IIRC you have a Rissole, that has an up/down switch :)
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

jimilee

Quote from: alanp on July 28, 2018, 08:22:46 PM
Jimi, IIRC you have a Rissole, that has an up/down switch :)
And I love it, I was just looking for something simple.

Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

sirbergersworth

Doesn't seem he wants a reversible sweep (up or down). He wants the envelope to act in reverse. Gotta be something like that out there. Can you do something similar with the slow gear?

"Comes a time when the blind man takes your hand, says, "Don't you see?"
-Robert Hunter

midwayfair

Pick a simple design you like and I'll take a look at the schematic and tell you what to change.

reddesert

In simplified terms, all of these (autowahs, Slow Gear, compressors, etc) are examples of voltage control. For guitar pedals, typically the control signal comes from an envelope follower, something like a rectifier and smoothing capacitor that turns the input signal into a signal that follows the volume envelope. For synthesizers, the envelope may come from an envelope generator triggered by a key press.

For an autowah, the control is fed into a VCF, voltage controlled filter, that changes the filter frequency.  The filter could be bandpass or low or high-pass. That simulates rocking a wah pedal as a note is struck.  The up/down switch is like choosing to rock the wah back or forward.

For a compressor the envelope is fed into a VCA, voltage controlled amplifier, that changes the volume instead of frequency, to turn down the gain when the envelope is strongest.

The Slow Gear is an extreme variant of the VCA compressor that makes the volume ramp up as the envelope decays.

madbean

Quote from: midwayfair on July 29, 2018, 10:55:08 AM
Pick a simple design you like and I'll take a look at the schematic and tell you what to change.

reddesert

Bean, that's cruel.

Here is the mojo schematic. You can practically feel the toan:

midwayfair

Quote from: madbean on July 29, 2018, 02:06:54 PM

My first recommendation is to replace all the chips with discrete components.

jimilee

Quote from: sirbergersworth on July 29, 2018, 10:26:30 AM
Doesn't seem he wants a reversible sweep (up or down). He wants the envelope to act in reverse. Gotta be something like that out there. Can you do something similar with the slow gear?

No, reversible sweep is the idea.

jimilee

jimilee

^^^^^^^^

midwayfair

I was hoping for even simpler.

I'll give it some thought.

Initially I'd try putting the bottom of P3 to power instead of ground and reversing D3. There might be more to it.