News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

NGD + Opinions Wanted

Started by culturejam, August 03, 2018, 01:56:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

culturejam

Just picked this up as a "consolation" for selling the CS Clapton guitar.  ;D The rest of the cash went into the new-roof fund.  :-\

This is a Squier Deluxe Strat in daphne blue. Been wanting one of these for a couple years. The quality overall has exceeded my expectations, and it arrived perfectly set up (and in tune!) straight out of the box from Sweetwater. The neck is almost exactly the same feel and shape as my '91 American. Same radius, too (9.5").

I would say that nothing *needs* to be upgraded on this model. The hardware and electronics are actually quite decent (or better). But of course, I have already ordered locking tuners.  ;D

So I want opinions from the peanut gallery on something. Since I have a Strat set up with the classic SSS config, I was thinking about doing this one with two humbuckers. Either that, or doing two single coils a la the old Duo Sonic setup (minus all the switches and whatnot). I like the 25.5" scale, but I also like two-pickup setups. What do you guys think? Should I do something unconventional or just leave it as is?

Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

Rockhorst

HSS is quite an unbeatable combo if you ask me, provided the pickups are nicely balanced. With strats, I absolutely need that neck + middle sound and a good fat neck on its own. For searing rock leads, switching to a bridge humbucker is a total winner. Hence, HSS.

Another nice option is to have 1 master tone pot and use the other one to blend in the middle pickup in parallel with the bridge. On the on hand you can have that very well defined spanky bridge pu and with the turn of the pot you can blend in the middle in parallel for a faux humbucker. Less clarity with that last sound, but very nice with overdrive.

So in all, maybe first get exotic with the wiring, then maybe add a bridge HB?

ahiddentableau

I'm pretty much in total agreement with Rockhorst.  Especially about needing those classic neck and neck/middle sounds.  That's the whole point of having a strat, IMO.  The day I pulled out the neck and middle lace sensors and put in vintage PUs was like the parting of the clouds and the angels singing (not to bag on lace sensors, which I really like--especially the red and silver (and not the blue) ones).  But having a high output PU in the bridge is really sweet, and if you've already got a vintage style strat, then I'd definitely go that way on this one.   

So I'd go HSS.  Even though I love duo sonics, I'd resist the urge to make a strat two pickup just because the neck/middle sound on a strat is so important.  There's so much to lose if you get rid of it and so little to lose if you keep it.  So I think you should keep it.  But I would also say don't go humbucker in the neck position.  Humbuckers in the neck on a strat...it's just...eeewww.  It's against nature.  Or maybe I just never heard the right humbucker.  But IME it doesn't have the smooth mojo of a tele, it doesn't have the punch of a gibson...it just...sounds dull and wrong to me.

jimilee

What you should do is the Gilmore mod, and put some single space humbuckers in it. I have an HSS that feels great, but rarely gets played, and 4 SSS, two with the mod that get played more. I'd say it's the Strat equivalent of the 4 way tele switch. So do that or look at other wiring mods.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

matmosphere

Honestly I'd play it like it is for a while before changing anything. You never know it could turn out to be great the way it is once it's been broken in a bit.

If not I vote Duo-sonic meets the Wayne Kramer.

You can probably get pickgaurd for it for $10 on Amazon, and I bet it's already routed as a swimming pool.

brucer

Quote from: Matmosphere on August 03, 2018, 06:40:58 PM
Honestly I'd play it like it is for a while before changing anything. You never know it could turn out to be great the way it is once it's been broken in a bit.

If not I vote ...

SD Twang Banger Strat bridge with a Tele gold foil neck.   But then, I did almost every mod and swap except that on a sweet-feeling MIM strat and still never bonded with it ... so traded it for a Tele!

jimilee

Also, if it is a swimming pool route, make a reverse bridge pickup pickguard, and put a reverse headstock neck on it. I want to try that to get different sounds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

jubal81

Any thought about what role you want it to play?
Backup strat?Fender-scale rocker?Alt-tuning guitar?Knockaround beater?"Third-tone" something unique for kicks?
Timbo's Firebird PUs have ruined me. Lively, smooth and bright like singles, but no hum. Like they're born to love gain boxes.
What about a bass contour for that 3rd knob?
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

jubal81

Forgot to say: That's one sharp guitar. Love the color and maple neck. Imma feeling some GAS pains.
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

culturejam

Quote from: jubal81 on August 03, 2018, 07:25:54 PM
"Third-tone" something unique for kicks?

Kinda this. I want to do something a little off the beaten path. I have a classic Strat setup already in my other Strat. So I don't need this one to do the same thing. I also have a shredder guitar (Ibanez 770DX...original, not reissue!). And of course, I have a Les Paul and a PRS SE Custom 24, so I have the dual bucker blues lawyer angle covered. And I have a semi-hollow.

So I'd like to try something a little different here. The great thing is that I can just pull this pickguard and leave it 100% intact so it can easily be put back later if I feel the need.

This one is routed HSH, so it's got some flexibility. I actually like two-pickup guitars, but I'm most at home with a Strat body/neck and 25.5" scale length. That's why I was thinking a pseudo Duo Sonic setup (different scale length but same pickup arrangement) or a dual bucker setup. Actually, I'm tempted to go with a pair of G&L MFD pickups (like the ones in the S500) because I love their tone and relative hum-free performance. I have Dimarzio Areas in my other Strat, so i'd rather not go that route again. I could also be on board with a couple of Dimarzio blade pickups (Air Classic or Air Norton, probably) because they can be tapped/cut to offer more options. And of curse, regular old humbuckers are on the menu as well.

Choices!  ;D
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

Aristatertotle

You could do a couple of Filtertrons  or Fender Widerange pickups. Or do something you don't see as much and get a couple of Mosrite style pickups. I believe you can buy some from Hallmark guitars.

davent

"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

jubal81

Sounds like you're leaning toward some uncommon hums. Creamery Jaime has an interesting lineup over in Juan's neck of the nape.
https://www.creamery-pickups.co.uk/
- David Fair

Willybomb

I've put a SuperD in the bridge, and an SSL5 in the neck of mine.  But it also has a floyd...  The SSL in the neck is very nice and thick, like it a lot.

sjaustin

Quote from: culturejam on August 03, 2018, 07:57:17 PM
I have a classic Strat setup already in my other Strat. So I don't need this one to do the same thing. I also have a shredder guitar (Ibanez 770DX...original, not reissue!). And of course, I have a Les Paul and a PRS SE Custom 24, so I have the dual bucker blues lawyer angle covered. And I have a semi-hollow.

Umm, I never thought that I would be the one to say this, but... no Tele? What about you go master tone and make the other tone knob give you the option to go bridge+neck, like a Telecaster middle position? That or Jazzmaster pickups as Dave suggested.