News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Laser engravers

Started by Shaggy45, October 03, 2018, 05:54:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shaggy45

Could one of you fine folks point me in the direction of a laser engraver that will get through powder coating cleanly?  Is this a possibility with out spending thousands? Or would I be better off with a desktop cnc?

Tried to use the search function but it was down.

Thanks

m-Kresol

http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=25637.msg249484#msg249484

http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=28072.msg271875#msg271875

http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=18882.msg182385#msg182385

Just to get you started on the topic. I've bought the Elekslaser A3 with 2.something W and it's not enough to go through a Tayda powder coat in one go at full power. you could use slower feed, but the detail you can achieve really suffers... I'm not sure if there's an affordable solution for DIYers for this.
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

pickdropper

Unfortunately, we had to spend a boatload of money to get a good one.  I've not come across a DIY one that was great, although I believe Culturejam finally got his setup to the point that it mostly worked.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

Shaggy45

Thanks for the links, I'll check them out.

Which laser did y'all end up with pickdropper? Just in case I fall into a large sum of money one day.

pickdropper

Quote from: Shaggy45 on October 04, 2018, 12:37:15 PM
Thanks for the links, I'll check them out.

Which laser did y'all end up with pickdropper? Just in case I fall into a large sum of money one day.

An Epilog Mini 1812.  It's basically an entry level production laser.  I think MSRP is $15k, but you can get them in the $10-12k range if you get them when there's a trade show special.  I would never be able to justify one for DIY builds; they are just too expensive.

If you get an engraver and you are planning on cutting anything with it, make sure you setup proper ventilation.  The fumes can be nasty and some materials (such as acrylic) will burst into open flame if there isn't a vent fan pulling air across the cut.
Function f(x)

Freppo

Check out the Emblaser from Darkly Labs.

The Emblaser 1 comes as a DIY kit.. It's pretty expensive compared to a chinese laser, but the support, community and software is worth the extra imo.
I had the Emblaser 1 (still have unused it in a box actually... anyone wants it? :P) but upgraded to Emblaser Two which is improved in every way.

Asgeir who ran Pedal Projects used a Emblaser 1 to engrave his pedals. It's very slow... but the results can be nice.
He powder coated the pedals himself in different layers to make different color combinations.

Jimmie who runs Reaper Pedals also used an Emblaser 1, but he made faceplates like me.

pickdropper

Quote from: Freppo on October 04, 2018, 01:12:37 PM
Check out the Emblaser from Darkly Labs.

The Emblaser 1 comes as a DIY kit.. It's pretty expensive compared to a chinese laser, but the support, community and software is worth the extra imo.
I had the Emblaser 1 (still have unused it in a box actually... anyone wants it? :P) but upgraded to Emblaser Two which is improved in every way.

Asgeir who ran Pedal Projects used a Emblaser 1 to engrave his pedals. It's very slow... but the results can be nice.
He powder coated the pedals himself in different layers to make different color combinations.

Jimmie who runs Reaper Pedals also used an Emblaser 1, but he made faceplates like me.

That looks pretty good.  I'll gave to check that out.
Function f(x)

Shaggy45

Thanks Freppo, that looks sweet. Still pretty expensive for the v2  :o

Is there a specific wattage i should be looking for to know that the laser will do the job?

Perhaps cnc would be a cheaper option. Is it correct to understand that cnc won't be as detailed as a laser engraver? at least with the size of pedals?

Freppo

Yeah, the V2 is expensive, but I got it for a 50% pre-order deal. :)

However.. I was very tempted to get an EleksMaker laser from Banggood, since they are very cheap.
They actually look very sturdy and a much better build than the Emblaser 1, which is mostly made out of cut acrylic and 3D printed parts.
With some mods, I think they can be a very good option. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZzO9skEYqwY

pickdropper

Quote from: Freppo on October 05, 2018, 08:17:32 AM
Yeah, the V2 is expensive, but I got it for a 50% pre-order deal. :)

However.. I was very tempted to get an EleksMaker laser from Banggood, since they are very cheap.
They actually look very sturdy and a much better build than the Emblaser 1, which is mostly made out of cut acrylic and 3D printed parts.
With some mods, I think they can be a very good option. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZzO9skEYqwY

I think that might be the model that Culturejam and Madbean have.
Function f(x)

Bio77

Shaggy45

Looks like someone needs to take one for the team lol

culturejam

I actually saw a 10W diode laser in a partially assembled kit and it's about $400. I don't want the hassle of water cooling a CO2 laser and the other accessory needs (ventilation to outside, etc). So I like the diode lasers, even though they are usually under powered for all but minimal powdercoat etching. But 10W ought to be able to do a lot more than the <3W diode lasers I've been mucking around with.

I just worked out a new process last night/today that seems to work adequately well, assuming you are okay with not actually cutting all the way down to the metal. I'm going to be posting notes in another thread with all the details, but here's my first test box (below). I need to adjust the artwork a bit to allow for the laser bleed, but the process works.

Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

Shaggy45

That looks good culturejam.

Lasers already seem like you have to fiddle with them a lot. In the end I at least want a good amount of power. I'm on a bad shift right now to do research ,so that will have to wait. At this point I know absolutely nothing about them. If I do end up getting one I will share my experience in this thread. And if anyone else has some info please feel free  :D