News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

1988 West Coast Session Drive

Started by Marshall Arts, October 06, 2018, 08:01:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marshall Arts

They say that all good things start with a beer - And I really enjoyed this one during the summer vacation in France:

I wanted to build something vintage to match the style of that picture, so I decided to build a point-to-point overdrive on an eyelet board. Soundwise, I was looking for something old-school as well, so I picked the ROG Umble (can't go wrong with another smooth drive, right?!). And as I was in that 80's mood, I did the design on paper  ;D. It's not the final layout, but I did not have any pictures with the last changes on it...

This is the final result:

...guts:

Build process pictures (The light is a standard LED in a Fender lamp filled with epoxy ;-))

...and finally the not-so-vintage other side (ran out of TO92 J201s):

kaeisy

Wow! Beautiful all around! Perfectly executed and super aesthetic!

cooder

Fabulously oozing style and summer vibes... Great inspiration from a bottle of beer there!
BigNoise Amplification

alanp

Salutations on your presentations, sir!
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

Martan

jimilee

You can haz skillz. Very cool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

ahiddentableau

Love it.  I especially liked the way you used the Fender amp-style bezel with your LED for that touch of vintage class.  Great image from the beer bottle label, too.  Magnifique!

How did you get the image to make the lebel?  Scan?  Found an image online?  Anyway, it turned out awesome.

Leevibe

Holy shnikes! What's not to love about this? This is dripping with all the DIY mojo. I'm totally floored man.

Marshall Arts

Quote from: ahiddentableau on October 06, 2018, 02:58:08 PM
Love it.  I especially liked the way you used the Fender amp-style bezel with your LED for that touch of vintage class.  Great image from the beer bottle label, too.  Magnifique!

How did you get the image to make the lebel?  Scan?  Found an image online?  Anyway, it turned out awesome.
I had to manually redraw in Inkscape from a scanned label I brought back home. Lotta work :-)

Leevibe

Quote from: Marshall Arts on October 06, 2018, 03:00:31 PM
Quote from: ahiddentableau on October 06, 2018, 02:58:08 PM

I had to manually redraw in Inkscape from a scanned label I brought back home. Lotta work :-)

I'd say "Lotta work" is a serious understatement for this build.

midwayfair

peterc

That is very impressive! Love the idea of PTP effects
Affiliation: bizzaraudio.com

mjg

Beautiful work, inside and out.  I admire your dedication to the vintage look.

I think I'll have to go over the ROG site again, it's been a while.  I don't think I ever built the Umble.

ahiddentableau

Knowing that you re-drew the image on the label from scratch just makes it that much more impressive.  That's the kind of work that makes me want to try harder.