News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Saturn V + Redstone

Started by mjg, October 19, 2018, 08:53:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mjg

This is two more boards from Nucleon FX, combined into the one enclosure. First up, a Saturn V distortion, then second, a Redstone boost and equaliser. The distortion is really good, it makes you feel like a rock god, even if you can only strum a few chords like me.   :P

These boards were from Rockhorst as part of last years BOTY prize.  Thanks Rockhorst!   They work well together.  It also works well with the bass guitar.

Given that both boards had rockety type names, I went with a rocket type theme for some of the text.

This is my first attempt at stamping the letters into the metal. It turned out OK!

For the letter stamping, I used my sledge hammer as an anvil, and then stuck some angle metal on the top of the enclosure using masking tape, to act as a guide. Then used a normal hammer to belt the letters in. The anvil idea worked OK, but wasn't as effective on the lettering closest to the edge, where it wasn't quite supporting the top of the enclosure. 

I've used some model paints to colour the lettering, and sanded it off to 240 grit.

I think I may have hit 'peak silver knob' on this one.  Not sure that I like that much aluminium, so I might swap to black metal knobs later if I don't get used to it. 

Did I realise after stamping all the letters and doing all the drilling, that I'd put the wording for 'In' and 'Out' on the wrong sides? You betcha. I had to cut the lettering away with the rotary tool, then redo it on opposite sides. *sigh*  No one will ever notice I'm sure...

Ekimneets

I love it,especially the font and tidy ness of your build.

-Mike

Typo'd from my iphone
Legion of one at Black Octopus Pedalworx.

drog_trog

Bio77

Really nice build! 

Would you mind posting a link to more information on the stamps? This is something I'd like to try.

Leevibe

Great job! I like the stamped, sanded look. I vote keep the silver knobs. It looks really cool that way.

ahiddentableau

Quote from: Leevibe on October 19, 2018, 05:11:36 PM
Great job! I like the stamped, sanded look. I vote keep the silver knobs. It looks really cool that way.

+1.  Stamps on sanded always looks great.  And I also agree about the silver knobs.  Looks great.

Aleph Null

I'm stealing this look! Where did you get your stamps?

Rockhorst

Ow wow, that's just beyond awesome. Really really like the look and how you carried on the theme. Looks very clean too.

Incidentally, this is how I had originally intended the circuits to be used, as a clean and a distortion preamp in one box...or a distortion and a boosted solo channel, in which case it's super easy to string the boards together as you found out. Whichever way you want. Hook up an impulse response, record and album I say ;)

mjg

Thanks for the kind comments, all.

For people interested in the stamps, I got mine from eBay, they're advertised as metal/leather stamps.  The ones I bought from aren't there any more, but they look identical to this listing:

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/36x-Letter-Number-Stamp-Punch-Steel-Metal-Leather-Craft-Tool-Kit-Alphabet-Q-/253625905275?var=&hash=item3b0d48307b

(Adjust for your country, of course.  I'm sure they will be available everywhere)

It was pretty easy to use, once I set up a bit of metal to make sure I stamped the letters in a straight line, and make sure you have support underneath the enclosure top, so that the stamp doesn't bend or buckle the enclosure.  Hit it once, so you don't get double impressions. 

Practice on the inside of the back of enclosure, first, to work out the technique.  That's what I did. :)

Bio77

Cool, thanks for the link.  What did you use to put the color in the indents?

mjg

Quote from: Bio77 on October 20, 2018, 08:33:57 PM
Cool, thanks for the link.  What did you use to put the color in the indents?

Some model paint, Tamiya brand, acrylic in semi gloss black, and clear red.  Painted it on with a brush, let it dry, sanded off with a block. 

I would think any sort of paint would work though.  Spray or anything thin enough to be brushed in or rubbed into the indents. 

jjjimi84

I love it! The polished aluminum with stamped letters is such a cool look.