News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

NOGD!

Started by sonarchotic, January 09, 2019, 01:27:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sonarchotic

I just took this on a trade. It's the cleanest guitar of this age I've had. Very few nics or scuffs outside of Gibson's early go at relicing. It's a 1980 LP 'Firebrand' which is a "The Paul" in mahogany and with the logo branded instead of printed. Same T-top pickups as the Custom but about half the weight. I'm still stoked about it even though I don't really need an LP right now. She's going to the auction block.

culturejam

That's pretty awesome. Wasn't even aware of this model, honestly. Top looks nice, but the back looks like a cutting board.  I mean, I'd still rock it.  8)
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

lars

I couldn't help but think of this song:
It's log, it's log,
It's big, it's heavy, it's wood.
It's log, it's log, it's better than bad, it's good.
Yep. I clicked the, "continue without supporting us" link....

culturejam

Quote from: lars on January 09, 2019, 08:30:50 PM
I couldn't help but think of this song:
It's log, it's log,
It's big, it's heavy, it's wood.
It's log, it's log, it's better than bad, it's good.

Oh man, I was singing this the other day at work! Ren & Stimpy was the best.

sonarchotic

Quote from: culturejam on January 09, 2019, 07:44:21 PM
That's pretty awesome. Wasn't even aware of this model, honestly. Top looks nice, but the back looks like a cutting board.  I mean, I'd still rock it.  8)

Well if you ever wondered how many pieces of wood were in a LP body, It's 5. The answer is 5.

culturejam

Quote from: sonarchotic on January 10, 2019, 04:38:38 AM
Well if you ever wondered how many pieces of wood were in a LP body, It's 5. The answer is 5.

*That* Les Paul has 5 pieces. But others will have less. Depends on the model, year, etc.

I'm not hung up on that kind of thing, for what it's worth. And even if I were, the awesomeness of the whole look of the top far outweighs any snobbish dislike of a multi-piece back.

jimilee

Awesome walnut "The Paul" model. I have one from before they were made by firebrand. Those things have sustain for dayz. There's also a "The SG" that are hard to come by.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

jimilee

Awesome walnut "The Paul" model. I have one from before they were made by firebrand. Those things have sustain for dayz. There's also a "The SG" that are hard to come by.

Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

sonarchotic

Quote from: culturejam on January 10, 2019, 08:04:13 AM
Quote from: sonarchotic on January 10, 2019, 04:38:38 AM

*That* Les Paul has 5 pieces. But others will have less. Depends on the model, year, etc.

I'm not hung up on that kind of thing, for what it's worth. And even if I were, the awesomeness of the whole look of the top far outweighs any snobbish dislike of a multi-piece back.

Fair point about the number of pieces of wood. There are definitely 5 in this one  ;D  Overall, the looks have grown on me and it's surprisingly not beat to hell. They usually are since they were a player model. The finish reminds of 70's western themed furniture.

Quote from: jimilee on January 10, 2019, 08:05:51 AM

That's a beaut! I love the grain in it!

culturejam

Quote from: sonarchotic on January 10, 2019, 09:23:58 AM
Fair point about the number of pieces of wood. There are definitely 5 in this one

It's becoming less and less common, but some USA (non-Custom Shop) models are one-piece backs. I believe most USA LPs are two- or three-piece backs at this point.

movinginslomo

Seen one of these on trogly's guitar show. (youtube it!) he focuses a lot on the wacky norlin years

jubal81

Wow, what a find. It's almost too cool to let go, but I can't blame you. Neat to see my hometown on there. No trip to Asheville this year, but maybe next year.
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

culturejam

Quote from: jubal81 on January 10, 2019, 09:08:15 PM
Wow, what a find. It's almost too cool to let go, but I can't blame you. Neat to see my hometown on there. No trip to Asheville this year, but maybe next year.

My cousins grew up there, so it's got a special place in my heart as well. Good old Ash-Vegas!

pickdropper

Quote from: culturejam on January 10, 2019, 09:49:52 AM
Quote from: sonarchotic on January 10, 2019, 09:23:58 AM
Fair point about the number of pieces of wood. There are definitely 5 in this one

It's becoming less and less common, but some USA (non-Custom Shop) models are one-piece backs. I believe most USA LPs are two- or three-piece backs at this point.

Yeah, any less just isn't very practical for mass production.  It's hard to do one-piece in any quantity.

Same applies to the tops, too.  Most are 2 piece.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

sonarchotic

Quote from: movinginslomo on January 10, 2019, 07:44:48 PM
Seen one of these on trogly's guitar show. (youtube it!) he focuses a lot on the wacky norlin years

I did see that. Good review and it helped sell me on doing the trade.

Quote from: jubal81 on January 10, 2019, 09:08:15 PM

Yeah, I noticed they misspelled Asheville. Weird... If I recall, you're on the coast. I may be heading that way before too long. I'm in Haywood County now but I finish school this summer and my work says they are likely moving me "down east." Don't know where yet. Wilmington would be cool. How's the hurricane recovery going?