News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Help with the most bizarre pedal and amp problem (with video).

Started by AntKnee, January 11, 2019, 06:31:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AntKnee

I was running through my pedal board into my Marshall combo, all pedals working fine. I unplug my cable from the Marshall, plug it into the input on my Vox, and suddenly no more effect is heard on my signal. It is not a problem with the pedals, or pedalboard, or their power supply. It is not a cable. It's something weird with my Vox.
Anybody know what gives?

Here's a video:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/kpevVWymTRprtQhU8
I build, and once in a while I might sell, pedals as "Vertigo Effects".

cooder

Now that's really weird.... sorry I don't have any straight ideas for this. I'm curious now what comes out of it.
Have you powered down both amps and pedal board and powered up again to see if any different. not that that assumption makes direct sense to me.
It's just what I do to my computer when something plays up, shut everything down including modem and power it up again.
I know I know, not the same thing, but maybe it helps...
BigNoise Amplification

AntKnee

Quote from: cooder on January 11, 2019, 06:57:58 PM
Now that's really weird.... sorry I don't have any straight ideas for this. I'm curious now what comes out of it.
Have you powered down both amps and pedal board and powered up again to see if any different. not that that assumption makes direct sense to me.
It's just what I do to my computer when something plays up, shut everything down including modem and power it up again.
I know I know, not the same thing, but maybe it helps...

I know, right?
What could possibly be different about my Vox? Could it be a ground issue somehow? Something with the input wiring? Some kind of phase cancelling? I am totally baffled.

midwayfair

The thing that comes most immediately to mind is that maybe the Marshall has an input cap and the Vox doesn't. Really not much else can be different between the output of a pedal and the amplifier. So I'd check the output of the last pedal in your chain and make sure nothing has gone wrong, like a shorted output cap or something, because then you'd have DC on the grid of a tube, which would be one possible explanation of silence.

AntKnee

Quote from: midwayfair on January 12, 2019, 07:45:37 AM
The thing that comes most immediately to mind is that maybe the Marshall has an input cap and the Vox doesn't. Really not much else can be different between the output of a pedal and the amplifier. So I'd check the output of the last pedal in your chain and make sure nothing has gone wrong, like a shorted output cap or something, because then you'd have DC on the grid of a tube, which would be one possible explanation of silence.
My output is coming from a pedal switcher, not from a pedal.

somnif

Quote from: AntKnee on January 12, 2019, 08:48:49 AM
Quote from: midwayfair on January 12, 2019, 07:45:37 AM
My output is coming from a pedal switcher, not from a pedal.

Does putting something in between the board and the amp change matters?

Aentons

What delay pedal is it?

I have something strange like that happening too. I didn't explore it much so I'll have to go play with it again to remember the specifics.

I run two parallel loops thru the boss ls-2 with a about 10 pedals in each loop. The funny delay I have is the ehx memory boy deluxe which comes first. Delay is normal until I turn on the VFE Enterprise phaser after it... And then repeats are gone.

This all goes into a vox ac30cch.

I'll experiment with it when I get a chance and see if I can recreate it.

AntKnee

It doesn't matter which pedal. I also have a chorus, flanger, and overdrives on my switcher. The overdrives make a very slight difference, but I can't hear the other stuff at all thru my AC30CC2.
What's blowing my mind is none of that should matter. The input signal to both amps is the same.

midwayfair

Again, does putting another pedal between the switcher and the amp make a difference?

What's the switcher? Did you check if the SWITCHER has DC on the output? (Assuming it's an active switcher.)