News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Shaving

Started by alanp, January 15, 2019, 08:07:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BryGuy

Though I currently have a full beard I started down the DE safety razor path a few years back. I don't think I will ever shave with any other method again. It takes a little more skill but not much and the ride is much more pleasing. Like driving a sports car versus the family sedan. Basically learned how from mantic59 on YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/user/mantic59  He was one of the first if not the very first guy to put a "how to shave" video on the internet.

Happy shaving!

alanp

Working my way through a box of Bolzano razor blades and, while they are most definitely not the sharpest blades I've shaved with, they hold their edge for a *VERY* long time, compared to those sharper blades! As a package, I quite like them :)

I also liked some Russian teflon coated ones... should have saved the box.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

davent

With my razor i've found the best blade to be Polsilvers out of Russia. Last one i used got 100 shaves out of the single blade and the one currently in my razor is closing in on thirty shaves. A few other brands of blades have stretched into 30 plus, the 100 i took to be a fluke, doubt i'll ever see that again.

Have some Bolzanos i'm working through as well, pretty good blade for me but with it's premium price, not warranted by it's performance compared to less expensive brands.
dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

dont-tase-me-bro

Electric norelco is wonderful.  Added bonus is being able to easily shave the back of my neck, being part gorilla
I thought this would save me money.

Leevibe

Astra SPs for me. A carton of 100 costs about $8 and lasts me 2 years. And they're the best blades for me too.

peAk

Real men get their beards waxed off.

Pain is for the weak.

davent

When i last needed blades, was down to a handful at most, ordered some from this shop in Sweden, crazy big selection and very good prices.

https://www.razorbladesclub.com/
dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

matmosphere

Quote from: davent on February 01, 2019, 09:04:21 AM
Quote from: alanp on February 01, 2019, 01:46:59 AM
Well, it's the first time I've ever used aftershave.

I'm lucky there, the whole scent thing i can do without entirely, soaps, creams, after shaves, colognes, the gamit, zero appeal, repugnant. Department stores always seem to funnel customers through the scent section of the store, i'd hold my breath until i was clear through, horrible customer abuse.
dave

Agree totally, I always feel like I might as well be walking through a swamp. Plus that stuff almost always triggers my asthma.

nzCdog

Fascinating thread.  I didn't even know guys still shaved with those old razor blades haha.  :o ;D
I just use the 3-blade disposable razors from the supermarket, mine's a 'Bic' brand.  Obviously I'm missing out

timbo_93631

Haven't shaved in too many years to count.  Never cared for it, once I became a dad gave up competely and became "that dad".  Yunno, overalls, too many kids in a public place, giant red beard, praying before meals at the Cookout.  That dad.  But yes fascinating thread.  Shave on ye clesn shorn shavers....
Sunday Musical Instruments LLC.
Sunday Handwound Pickups

davent

Quote from: timbo_93631 on January 02, 2020, 09:40:20 AM
Haven't shaved in too many years to count.  Never cared for it, once I became a dad gave up competely and became "that dad".  Yunno, overalls, too many kids in a public place, giant red beard, praying before meals at the Cookout.  That dad.  But yes fascinating thread.  Shave on ye clesn shorn shavers....

Shaving on but haven't cut my hair since the summer of 2016...

Quote from: alanp on December 30, 2019, 07:23:16 AM
Working my way through a box of Bolzano razor blades and, while they are most definitely not the sharpest blades I've shaved with, they hold their edge for a *VERY* long time, compared to those sharper blades! As a package, I quite like them :)

I also liked some Russian teflon coated ones... should have saved the box.

Might the Teflons have been Voskhod? My favourite labelling.

Ditched the Polsilver today that i'd used for 31 days and went with a Bolzano today.
dave

alanp

Sputnik blades... everyone loves the first satellite around the world, right? :) I've got a 5x pack of Voskhod, haven't opened it yet.
- Terry Pratchett
My website

diablochris6

I have the blessing/curse of not having much facial hair. I don't have to shave everyday, but I still have to shave to avoid looking like a creeper.

I got a Harry's razor for Christmas. I have to say, I much prefer my old three-blade Gilette. The blades didn't feel that sharp, and as a guy with very little facial hair, I don't need many blades. I can even shave against the grain rather easily with old blades. I do like to use a Neutrogena post-shave moisturizer. It does the trick of soothing the skin after a razor scrapes off the outer layers of skin and doesn't feel heavy or greasy.
Build guides of my original designs and modifications here

alanp

Working my way through a box of Egyptian 'Shark' razor blades and, so far, they're crap.

Blunter than the Bolzano, with a shorter life than the Chinese blades I got with the handle.

Don't buy Shark blades (yellow box.)
- Terry Pratchett
My website

thesmokingman

I've yet to shed the beard I grew for the Chiefs football season ... I'm figuring this week might be the week though, any longer and it is going to be too hot for this level of facial bush
once upon a time I was Tornado Alley FX