News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Ultimate GW score. Wish it were mine

Started by Leevibe, January 26, 2019, 10:45:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leevibe

Up in the Pacific Northwest, Goodwill has figured out that anything of particular value can be auctioned off for much more than what stuff sells for out on the floor of their stores. Apparently down in Arizona that isn't the case. My good friend had been spending some time down there and popped onto a Goodwill. He found this JC120 with a $100 price tag on it. When he got up to the front counter, the lady said, "You know that's not the true price, right?" He was disappointed but he knew that it would still be worth significantly more so he was prepared to pay whatever they were asking. Then she said, "Yeah, everything with that color of tag is 20% off today." So, he got this beauty for $80. No fair, right?

He got back into the Portland area yesterday so he brought it over to check out. It wasn't really working right initially but a few shots of deoxit on the pots and switches brought everything into perfect working order. It's really an amazing amp. I did a little of teh google yesterday and it looks like it's from the mid '80s. Cool!!

I hear people say all the time that they hate chorus. I get it. When not used tastefully it can be downright hideous, but when it's good, it's SO good! I defy anyone to plug into this, kick in the chorus circuit, and not like it. Your pride might make you say you hate chorus but your heart would be screaming "LIAR!!"

rockola

pickdropper

I'd buy that for a dollar.  Er, a hundred dollars.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

fair.child

I guess, I gotta check Goodwill around my area for scoring something like this!

alanp

Roland JC-120's have always had a VERY good reputation, AFAIK.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

Marshall Arts

Quote from: alanp on January 26, 2019, 11:32:27 AM
Not the drive channel, but the rest is fantastic. I prefer chorus over phaser, BTW :-). 80s kid...

somnif

Huh, I thought the jazz chorus amps had a CE-1 -esque circuit in them, but I see a 3007 in there. Still, I'm jealous.  What part of AZ? (If it was Tucson I'll be pissed I missed it!)

matmosphere

Quote from: somnif on January 26, 2019, 01:29:16 PM
Huh, I thought the jazz chorus amps had a CE-1 -esque circuit in them, but I see a 3007 in there. Still, I'm jealous.  What part of AZ? (If it was Tucson I'll be pissed I missed it!)

The CE-1 IS the chorus from these amps. Or at least that was my understanding. It has probably changed over the many years they've made these.

pickdropper

Quote from: Marshall Arts on January 26, 2019, 12:32:48 PM
Quote from: alanp on January 26, 2019, 11:32:27 AM
Not the drive channel, but the rest is fantastic. I prefer chorus over phaser, BTW :-). 80s kid...

Yeah, the drive channel wasn't very good at all, but the clean is a classic sound.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

cooder

There's a fine lot of goodwill in that price... hallelujah...
BigNoise Amplification

EBK

Quote from: Leevibe on January 26, 2019, 10:45:10 AM
When he got up to the front counter, the lady said, "You know that's not the true price, right?" He was disappointed but he knew that it would still be worth significantly more so he was prepared to pay whatever they were asking. Then she said, "Yeah, everything with that color of tag is 20% off today."
That is effing hilarious!  ;D  I can imagine myself having the same reaction.
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

gordo

Oh man I'm so jealous.  And agreed...standing in front of that 2x12 about 8' back and getting hit in the face with the stereo chorus is nirvana.

Speaking of which, I saw Eric Johnson for the first time last nite.  If anybody in the Chicagoland area wants to pick up all my gear, c'mon over.  I don't see any reason I'll be needing it anymore...
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

reddesert

That's awesome. I have mooned after the JC-120 since seeing one in a music store in the 80s. They are way too big and loud for someone of my playing ability, but fantastic amps.

The Goodwill auction site is a little dangerous in a time wasting sense. You can spend a lot of time on it and find bargains, or sometimes partially broken junk. I live in Arizona too and the local Goodwill auctions all the good stuff, but they won't ship overly big or fragile things, which seems reasonable - I mean it's a little weird how we're shipping each other's castoffs around the country. Luckily, that means I was able to win a decent synth (nothing incredible, a DX21) relatively cheaply.