News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

BC109 Fuzz Face

Started by pickdropper, March 17, 2019, 06:32:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pickdropper

I got a request for a Si Fuzz Face with BC109s in a mini format, so I put together a PCB.  I configured the board so that the input trim and bias trim could be use external pots or internal trim pots.  Obviously in this case I elected to wire up the controls externally.  Frankly, there's so much room on the board that I almost don't know what to do with myself.

The artwork will probably look familiar as it is a modification of the Ge FF art that I use.

Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

Leevibe

Those components are huge and there's holes in the board!!!

pickdropper

Quote from: Leevibe on March 17, 2019, 08:05:05 PM
Those components are huge and there's holes in the board!!!

Yeah, lots of real estate for bigger parts.

It sure does look bare without the internal trimmers.
Function f(x)

cooder

Wide open spaces.... unreal...
BigNoise Amplification

alanp

Quote from: pickdropper on March 17, 2019, 06:32:03 PM
Frankly, there's so much room on the board that I almost don't know what to do with myself.

It's a tough old life :)

I don't think you can, but don't post a bad build if you ever make one -- several forum members might suffer medical emergencies in shock ;D
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

pickdropper

Quote from: alanp on March 18, 2019, 01:37:07 AM
Quote from: pickdropper on March 17, 2019, 06:32:03 PM
Frankly, there's so much room on the board that I almost don't know what to do with myself.

It's a tough old life :)

I don't think you can, but don't post a bad build if you ever make one -- several forum members might suffer medical emergencies in shock ;D

Well, I've built so many mini builds at this point, that I sort of know what I'm getting into before I start one.

That said, that doesn't mean that everything goes off perfectly every time.  If you asked most guitar builders (or any woodworker, really) I bet they would tell you that they make mistakes all the time, but they generally don't show up in the final product.  Most minor mistakes can be corrected invisibly.  By far my biggest issue is laser etching gone awry.  But in those cases, it never makes it to a finished build.
Function f(x)

jalmonsalmon

Hey, I always use sockets for transistors but for Si transistors soldered directly to the board, is it okay to solder them in or do you use a clip on the lead so the heat does not kill the transistor? I am going to make a bc109c FF really soon...
thanks
Information is not knowledge
Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
Truth is not beauty
Beauty is not love
Love is not music
Music is THE BEST . .

pickdropper

Quote from: jalmonsalmon on April 01, 2019, 01:13:33 PM
Hey, I always use sockets for transistors but for Si transistors soldered directly to the board, is it okay to solder them in or do you use a clip on the lead so the heat does not kill the transistor? I am going to make a bc109c FF really soon...
thanks

I don't think I've ever killed a transistor by soldering it in.  Just get in and our reasonably quickly and you should be totally fine.
Function f(x)

matmosphere

It's fine to just solder them in. Just be quick like pick dropper said. I only socket things I want to experiment with.

Timko

Great work.  I love the simple graphics and the incredibly clean inside.

I love seeing people work in 1590A's because I tend to stay away from them (as evidenced by this meme):