News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Small Good Distortion in 1590A box

Started by JackSkellington, March 24, 2019, 09:53:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JackSkellington

My Smash Drive layout:

The layout works, but tell me if you see some mistakes.
Remember to jumper the 100R if you don't want include it.
«Just because I cannot see it doesn't mean I can't believe it»

JackSkellington

The Mockman board on protoboard is finished. Currently, I used the stock schematic, it works and sound ok. With the switch open it sounds a little bit heavy, and I prefer it, so I'll keep this mode always on without any switch.
No I have to make some experiemnt to find the more right gain control.
It cleans up not so bad with the volume guitar, but if I can, I want to avoid a Pre-Gain control type.

JackSkellington

I hope this topic still interest to somebody, meanwhile I'll keep to update it. ;)
I'm working on the Mockman 2.0 now.
This is the stock schematic, I guess we need it.

I replaced the 1M in the feedback of the op-amp of the first stage with a 120k in series of a 1M pot. At lowest gain setting of the pot I get a cleaner sound, even if the clipping of the opamp is not so natural, and the decay of the notes oscillates between the clean and the dirt before to clean up completely. I think that dirt clipping could be in the second stage caused by the other 1M resistor that I guess is pretty high.
Afterall, that is not too bad, seeing what this circuit is. And of course this circuit is made to get heavy distortion, and that's not bad.
Though, even if I wanted to avoid, I'm thinking about to add a third pot how pregain control, that helps to get more sounds in combination with the gain control. Maybe I should add a "treble bleed" ceramic cap, too.

I found this circuit pretty loud even at low Volume setting. Is there some trick to lose a bit of volume without too much alteration of the overall sound?