News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

BJF/Moodysounds Fuzzes!

Started by G.G., April 28, 2019, 10:48:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

G.G.

Hi Folks,
Here are a few fuzzes from BJF/Moodysounds built from layouts over at tagboardeffects: the Sparkle Face, Bonebender, and Bonebender2. I put the Sparkle Face into the Ace of Spades box I already had, the Bonebender is in the hammertone box, and the Bonebender2 is the 1966 black-on-black. Both Bonebenders are using GT404s and really sound fantastic. They were super easy to bias, much easier than the Mark1 I made, in fact the hammertone Bonebender sounded great from the first so I never even tried to adjust the bias. Thanks to Bjorn and Moodysounds for putting these out for the DIY community, and to the lads at tagboard for the layouts. Definitely worth a build, all three.

TGP39

I love all of them, but the Bonebender 2 looks so cool.   I have yet to try tagboard and I know I'm missing out as a result.   Fantastic builds.
-Steve
Follow me on Instagram under PharmerFx.

Netnnk

Nice builds!  I also made those using the Tagboard forum layouts.  Don't miss out on all the stuff that doesn't hit the main page..

I also used GT404's and built the "109 Face" to complete the set.   Those four fuzzes are Bjorn's reinterpretations of  Tone Benders mki mkii and silicon and germanium Fuzz Faces. They are excellent and sound great  with minimal adjusting.

G.G.

You're right, I should just complete the set!
Quote from: Netnnk on May 04, 2019, 02:18:44 PM
Nice builds!  I also made those using the Tagboard forum layouts.  Don't miss out on all the stuff that doesn't hit the main page..

I also used GT404's and built the "109 Face" to complete the set.   Those four fuzzes are Bjorn's reinterpretations of  Tone Benders mki mkii and silicon and germanium Fuzz Faces. They are excellent and sound great  with minimal adjusting.

tcpoint

Nice.  If I ever get caught up on my backlogs, these look like fun projects.

Netnnk

G.G., any build tips? I was revisiting them and I cant get rid of the oscillating squeal from the Bone Bender 1 unless I raise the filter caps so high that it sounds muddy.   Did you encounter anything like this? What gains did you use?  I built the one with a J113 in Q1.

For the Sparkle Face,  upgrading to high gain 2n1306's over the previous MP38A's I used was worth it.

G.G.

I don't remember having trouble with the Bone Bender 1 (I used a J113), but I had problems with the BB2. Part of it was build errors but I kind of remember some squealing or something when I had the transistors inserted incorrectly. You knew the GT404s have an odd pinout, right? I didn't measure them so I don't know gains. Someone in the thread on tagboard mentioned getting oscillation until he did some trimmer adjustments. I don't think I changed any values on the BB1 but I'll have a look when I get the pedal from the office on Monday.
Quote from: Net no on May 10, 2019, 04:38:42 PM
G.G., any build tips? I was revisiting them and I cant get rid of the oscillating squeal from the Bone Bender 1 unless I raise the filter caps so high that it sounds muddy.   Did you encounter anything like this? What gains did you use?  I built the one with a J113 in Q1.

For the Sparkle Face,  upgrading to high gain 2n1306's over the previous MP38A's I used was worth it.

G.G.

Necrobump!!! I finally boxed up my MoodySounds 109 Fuzz build and completed the MoodySounds/BJF set!! Achievement Unlocked!!!! Here's the fam, L to R: Bonebender 1, Bonebender 2, 109 Fuzz, and Sparkle Face.