News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Telecaster Bridge Question

Started by peAk, May 28, 2019, 08:49:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

peAk

Not sure if anyone here would know the answer to this but I thought I would try anyway,

I have a 94 Custom Japanese Telecaster that I had since.....uhh 94. I have recently been doing some upgrades on my guitars and I thought about replacing the bridge (and some other things) on this but wasn't sure about what bridges are compatible. I have measured my current one with calipers and the only one that looks exact is the Gotoh Wilkinson modern tele bridge attached. 

I'd like to move to a more vintage style one but I couldn't seems to figure out if anyone makes one you can just switch out without having to redrill. I also couldn't figure out if the older Japanese models have the same spec bridges as the American ones.

I may need to post in the Telecaster forum but I thought I would try here first.

gordo

I use the Gotoh on a homemade tele and really like it. Can't tell you if it changes the tone to any degree but doesn't have the intonation issues or ashtray edges of the original.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

jkokura

I have a John Rutters Bridge. Fantastic tone machine. I bet if you emailed him the specs he'd do one of his for your specific needs.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

matmosphere

I replaced the bridge on a MIM tele with this wilkenson

https://reverb.com/item/330561-guitar-parts-wilkinson-wtb-bridge-telecaster-tele-brass-saddle-chrome?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI5Me5oNu-4gIVilqGCh1YXgTpEAQYAiABEgIAm_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&pla=1

As far as I know if your tele bridge mounts with four screws the wilkenson will be a drop in replacement. There are probably some exceptions to that but for the most part it just works.

I had to do some redrilling because the old bridge had three screws not four. But it was a HUGE upgrade. Way more sustain and an improvement tonewise as well.

One thing that is nice is the wilkenson can do either top load (which I prefer) or through body. so even if those through body holes don't line up you could still use the top load stuff.

fair.child

Go with Standard American Fender Telecaster replacement. Not the ashtray style. I am in position upgrading my Mexican Tele as well. I just ordered the Ashtray style bridge and American standard bridge. Turns out the American works better for me. I also heard that the sustain is better on American standard bridge.

www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001CC3CV4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

peAk

Quote from: Matmosphere on May 28, 2019, 10:14:37 AM

https://reverb.com/item/330561-guitar-parts-wilkinson-wtb-bridge-telecaster-tele-brass-saddle-chrome?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI5Me5oNu-4gIVilqGCh1YXgTpEAQYAiABEgIAm_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&pla=1

As far as I know if your tele bridge mounts with four screws the wilkenson will be a drop in replacement. There are probably some exceptions to that but for the most part it just works.

I had to do some redrilling because the old bridge had three screws not four. But it was a HUGE upgrade. Way more sustain and an improvement tonewise as well.

One thing that is nice is the wilkenson can do either top load (which I prefer) or through body. so even if those through body holes don't line up you could still use the top load stuff.

see, this is where my confusion comes from. If you looks at the dims of the one you recommended, youll notice that its different than the Gotoh I posted earlier which is pretty much the dims of my current one. I am not sure if this off enough that it matter but my gut says that it is? Yes, my current one is 4 screws but it's still a bit different.

peAk

Quote from: fair.child on May 28, 2019, 10:56:29 AM
Go with Standard American Fender Telecaster replacement. Not the ashtray style. I am in position upgrading my Mexican Tele as well. I just ordered the Ashtray style bridge and American standard bridge. Turns out the American works better for me. I also heard that the sustain is better on American standard bridge.

www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001CC3CV4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Yeah, see this is pretty similar to what I already have. I was kind of interested in trying one of the ashtray style ones.

peAk

Quote from: jkokura on May 28, 2019, 10:01:41 AM
I have a John Rutters Bridge. Fantastic tone machine. I bet if you emailed him the specs he'd do one of his for your specific needs.

Jacob

Website or contact?

jkokura

Quote from: peAk on May 28, 2019, 11:05:01 AM
Quote from: jkokura on May 28, 2019, 10:01:41 AM

Jacob

Website or contact?

http://ruttersguitars.com

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

GermanCdn

Tele bridges are a little bit tricky from my experience, there are subtle but noticeable differences between years and countries of manufacture.  I have found that even if the holes all line up, you might get a little peak of the pickup route sneaking out the edge because the plate is a couple of mm too narrow. 

If it was MIM or MIA, it would be easier, MIJ and MIK tend to have more oddball dimensions.  GFS used to have a couple of units that would work for the Japanese Fenders, that might be worth a look if budget is a concern.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

matmosphere

Quote from: peAk on May 28, 2019, 11:00:09 AM
Quote from: Matmosphere on May 28, 2019, 10:14:37 AM

see, this is where my confusion comes from. If you looks at the dims of the one you recommended, youll notice that its different than the Gotoh I posted earlier which is pretty much the dims of my current one. I am not sure if this off enough that it matter but my gut says that it is? Yes, my current one is 4 screws but it's still a bit different.

There is a lot of extra space behind the saddles on the gotoh. There has to be due to the design of the saddles. The strings have to come down in the middle of the each saddle, then the screws are behind that. whereas on the Wilkinson the screws are between the double saddles so there doesn't need to be room behind them.

I prefer the ashtray style for whatever reason. But as far as I can tell it's a question of style not function. They both work extremely well.

mattc

Callaham makes awesome products, and should have one that matches your guitar:

https://www.callahamguitars.com/tele_bridges_catalog.htm

matmosphere

Quote from: mattc on May 28, 2019, 03:44:57 PM

I have a Callahan on a different guitar. It looks cooler than the Wilkenson but I like the Wilkinson more. It's way cheaper and easily as good quality wise IMO

brucer

Quote from: Matmosphere on May 28, 2019, 04:22:28 PM
Quote from: mattc on May 28, 2019, 03:44:57 PM

I have a Callahan on a different guitar. It looks cooler than the Wilkenson but I like the Wilkinson more. It's way cheaper and easily as good quality wise IMO

Whatever direction you go, the Callaham "Will it fit?" page may be of some use?  Seems like it's either "vintage" or "modern" when it comes to Tele bridges.  No other options. 

For what it's worth, I recommend the "Fender Telecaster Custom Bridge Plate w/ Hybrid Double Flange Notches" from Bridge Works (http://thebridge-works.com/Fender-Telecaster-Custom-Bridge-Plate-w-Hybrid-Double-Flange-Notches-P2319033.aspx) from a cost:function ratio.

Martan

THE compensated saddles from Callaham are great for intonation if you are going for the vintage two strings per saddle bridge. Get one string intoned and the other is pretty damn near perfect.