News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

JMK/THcustom Epic Looper - with video

Started by Leevibe, June 21, 2019, 05:25:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leevibe

This is my implementation of the venerable JMK/TH Customs Epic Looper. This is such a fantastic loop switcher! Not just a great DIY loop switcher, but great period. It goes as far as you can go in functionality while staying completely simple. And it's so compact! I think everyone should build one. Now, if you want something that goes way beyond epic and space isn't a concern, take a look at Marshall Arts' Eoo3 project. Everyone else, build the Epic Looper.

I went a little off the reservation with this one in terms of making it my own. Here is a list of things I did that strayed from the build report:

- soft touch switches
- separate LEDs for programs/loops (vs bicolor LEDs)
- 7 segment bank display (This actually is an option provided by Jacob and Thomas but it's a little more work to build)
- extensive use of 3D printed parts to get everything to fit and mount. I also used 3D printed drilling guides
- custom printed/cut vinyl graphics by my friend Forest at Dukes Decals.

For more info on how I built it, check out the WIP thread.

Thanks for looking!

EBK

The inside of that looks like a server room.
;D 
Nice work, inside and out.
Love the super clean labeling.
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

mjg

Adam_DIY

gordo

Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

Bio77

EBK

Are those relays(?) inside the box the same color as the blue on the outside?
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

Leevibe

Thanks friends. It feels good to have it done and the only troubleshooting was reversed leads on the MIDI pins.

Quote from: EBK on June 22, 2019, 05:31:14 PM
Are those relays(?) inside the box the same color as the blue on the outside?

Good point. I guess they are. That was unintentional. Funny thing about those relays; there was something super satisfying about getting the relay board populated. It was so easy to do but when it was done I kept staring at it because it looks so good. And it feels really substantial.

nzCdog

Lubdar

(--c^.^)--c

Wolfonso

Looks really great!

Could you share what switches you used and if they were a direct replacement for the switches from the BOM, please?

Leevibe

Quote from: Wolfonso on August 05, 2019, 01:24:34 AM
Looks really great!

Could you share what switches you used and if they were a direct replacement for the switches from the BOM, please?

Thanks! The switches are the soft touch momentaries from BLMS. The kit is not designed to work with them. Circuit-wise they are just fine but the kit is designed for DPDT switches to directly mount to daughter boards which in turn hold the indicator LEDs. To make these work I had to fabricate my own mounting solution for the daughter boards and LEDs. I don't recommend it unless you have a 3D printer and know how to do 3D modeling. The switches from the BOM work great. They have a nice feel and only a slight mechanical click.

jkokura

We designed it with you in mind it seems! You can build it vanilla, or build it extreme, so you can have the kind of unit you want. I'm glad this all came together so well for you Lee. Looks awesome!

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

Leevibe

Quote from: jkokura on August 06, 2019, 09:52:48 AM
We designed it with you in mind it seems! You can build it vanilla, or build it extreme, so you can have the kind of unit you want. I'm glad this all came together so well for you Lee. Looks awesome!

Jacob

Thanks. My summer has been way too busy to actually get it up and running on my board but it all tests out. I bought a bunch of those redco square plugs that I learned about from you. Hopefully this fall I'll be able to build up all the cables I need to get it working. I may have to rebuild my pedalboard to make it fit but that will be fun. It's definitely the perfect loop switcher for my setup and I'm really glad I built it. You and Thomas nailed it.

Wolfonso