News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Sunking true bypass

Started by lundergaard, July 22, 2010, 04:17:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lundergaard

Anyone have a quick and dirty way to make the Sunking true bypass?  I'm loving the effected signal but not the buffered signal.  Pedal is already built and i have a 3PDT switch ready for this mod.
thanks
andy

oldhousescott

Here's one way to do it. As shown in red, I would remove R28 and replace R27 with a jumper, although it's not necessary to do so. The S3-G connection on your old switch will transfer to the new switch to provide LED indication. The S1 connection is not necessary, although it won't hurt to connect as before.

[attachment deleted by admin]

madbean

The way I've recommended in the past is pretty similar:

Don't connect BUF or S1. Connect S3 to the lug for LED switching. And yeah, you can probably leave off R27 and R28. Just wire the whole thing to a 3PDT as normal after that. If you get popping put a 1M in place of R28 (and leave R27 jumpered).

R27 and R28 form a voltage divider. I'm guessing it was used to balance the output signal with the buffered signal, but in a true bypass situation maybe it's not necessary. You could replace the VOL pot with 100kA if removing R27 and R28 leaves you with too much boost.

Jamiroking

I'm going to be building one of these too with the single sided version. I was wondering if there was a way to put in a toggle switch to select between buffered and true bypass if I use a 3PDT stomp switch.

Jamiroking

Bump?

I have the single sided version and I'm having trouble trying to figure out if its possible to switch between buffered/true bypass with a toggle

jtn191

Quote from: Jamiroking on July 24, 2011, 08:27:01 PM
I'm going to be building one of these too with the single sided version. I was wondering if there was a way to put in a toggle switch to select between buffered and true bypass if I use a 3PDT stomp switch.

I tried to think of a way, but it turned out to be more complicated, if not impossible. FWIW, I've never heard anything bad about this circuit's buffer. But if you really wanted to, you could build a separate true bypass looper, which is multifunctional in that it lets you bypass any buffered pedal--or a whole chain--if placed in the loop

Jamiroking

It seemed like this guy did it
http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=1797.0

but I couldn't really understand what was happening with the bypass since there was so many other things going on. I haven't been able to get a response on that thread.

Thanks for the suggestions on the alternative bypassing but I'm mainly just looking to pack as much options in my one box so its pretty much just a matter of pride as opposed to me not liking the buffer. haha

Jamiroking

Ok I came up with an idea and would love to have someone let me know if this will work or not. I'm building the etched version with  a 3pdt as madbean has drawn up on the last page of the doc.

instead of wiring the input to the board, what if I wired it to a spdt toggle with one side sending it to the board to run as normal and the other running to the middle pole (B2) of the 3pdt.

Then, when engaged, pole B3 would send it to theboard to run as normal and while bypassed,
it would be sent from B1 to the output tip.

is there any reason this wouldn't work?

jtn191

The middle row (er, column if you want to be correct) on the 3pdt is left blank. Poles connect vertically, so unless you connect something to B1 and B3 that isn't specified on the diagram, B2 won't be connected to anything in any position...

Jamiroking

QuoteThe middle row (er, column if you want to be correct) on the 3pdt is left blank. Poles connect vertically, so unless you connect something to B1 and B3 that isn't specified on the diagram, B2 won't be connected to anything in any position...

I would be B1 and B3 wiring as in the last paragraph:

QuoteThen, when engaged, pole B3 would send it to theboard to run as normal and while bypassed,
it would be sent from B1 to the output tip.

jtn191

Jamiroking

FSB seems to be down again,
In the meantime I drew up a little wiring diagram of my idea. I'm not sure if it's similar to the schem at the top of this thread but I think it would work. The main thing I'd like to get confirmation about is the wiring from B1 to the output tip.

Would I run into a problem with both the board and B1 being wired to the same thing?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us