News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

The Sagittary! aka dual sunking w/ ultra switching options!

Started by tubeman, May 10, 2011, 04:24:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tubeman

Dual Sunkings using ICL7660SCPAZ, JRC4558DD in clean socket, JRC4558D in dirty socket, Metal Can Regulator Diodes for clipping, 2 Watt Mil Spec 10k Linear and 2 Watt Allen Bradley Type J 100k Dual Linears, toggle switchable Klon type buffered bypass, seperate true bypass toggled switched TRS loops, true bypass selector switch and True Bypass main switch. Custom made Aluminum etched faceplate and custom Painted Prism II enclosure (provided by Mike at pedalenclosures.com). This project couldn't have turned out better!

I wanted this pedal to be somewhat of a "Ground Control" for my main rig. I wanted something that I could plug my guitar into one side and my amp on the other. The loops let me accomplish that task. I currently use a TC Nova System on a full time basis. It has analog overdrive and distortion in it, but they can be completely bypass with some programming and an extra input jack that is located post the analog Dist/OD circuit. I can use one sunking to drive this unit and have another for some of my PNP type stuff I just really enjoy using. As all would know... PNP is virtually impossible to utilize without some type of buffer somewhere along the line. this unit should solve all of my woes!

madbean

Jeebus crackers that is the most awesome thing I've seen in a while. I mean....damn!

But, no guts, no glory. Post the inside Mr. Mojo!

petesz

tubeman

More Pics Below. Honestly, there is so much going on in here, it was really hard to keep it in order. Some of it is not in order at all! Ran out of room fellas! What else could possibly fit in here?!! Really!! If I do another it, it should turn out somewhat better. Not that I am displeased at all with this final build!

Whatcha Think?!!!!

Sounds better than it looks!!

jimmybjj

Pcbs no longer available

k.rock!

Whoooooa!!  :o

Dude, you just set the bar super high! Amazing looking build.

-Kaleb
God bless!
www.kalebromero.com

nzCdog

jtn191

holy sh$%^&!!! I'm jealous of your skills and general aura of cool

slimtriggers

Myramyd

night-B

masterlk

tubeman

Thanks for the praise fellas! The diodes are LM313H

datasheet = http://www.national.com/ds/LM/LM113.pdf

Currently fetching rediculous prices on eBay and only available on quote from anywhere else.

This diode probably provides more gain than that of an original klon. Measurement taken from my fluke's diode setting rendered about .254. My blue 1n34a's were about .120 and my glass 1n34a's with green bands are even less. BAT41 was around .150.

This particular diode put this pedal in the range of somewhere between oeverdrive and distortion in my opinion. The sustain lacked character with the 34a's and bat41's. This diode provided a hugely natural sound and even more volume than one could possibly ever need. The Gain has a tremendous range now and the clean and low end have more presence.

When I find local caches of transistors and diodes, caps, resistors, etc etc. I buy them up if I can get them for a reasonable cost. I ended up with about a thousand of these I think in original  packing, NOS... along with some other metal can type diodes as well as about 150,000 other NOS vintage trannies and germanium amplifiers. Never thought about using them for clippers, but they sure fit the bill as far as sound is concerned. Not sure if I will have anything around that can sound as natural as these do. Everything else just sounded kinda Fuzzy. I have many Fuzz pedals and wanted pure overdrive that would make a tube screamer seem like a silly toy. Mission Accomplished!

When you have Sunking, why would you want TS-808? Yes, completely different birds. Although, The sunking does everything the TS-808 does, but better!! I have had many TS-808's from originals to modded ones to Keeley ones to my own personal builds. I just can't dig them at all. No offense. I guess I still need to keep looking. It will take one hell of a tube screamer to get me to pull The Sagittary of of my board!

lincolnic

No matter when the next Build-Off happens, I think this pedal's already won it.

tubeman

Thanks alot guyz! What do you usually win in Build-Offs?