News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Spaceman Effects Gemini III

Started by Hexjibber, August 16, 2019, 11:39:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hexjibber

Here's my latest build, the Gemini III by Spaceman, built on Deadendfx 'Fuzzimile' board.

I'd like to say it was an easy build but I reality was one of those where nothing went quite to plan! Also lots of oddball components, to me at least, things like weirdly specific resistor values (21.5k?) and less common cap values. I stuck to the BOM though, as always if something is worth doing...

Tried my best to get transistors in the spec'd range and the voltages were as they should be so think it worked! Sounds great I have to say.

For anyone not familiar its a germanium and silicon fuzz with a blend pot to mix the two plus some switchable gain options. Loads of sounds in there so need to have a proper play with it.

The etch isn't my best so I roughed it up a bit with wire wool to try and give it a worn in look haha!

mcallisterra

That etch is awesome! I love the design, excellent work.

Sent from my BND-L24 using Tapatalk

mjg

Very nice!  You've got the 'distressed' look just right.

What are all the toggle switches controlling?  Is it all gain controls for the different transistors?

Hexjibber

Quote from: mcallisterra on August 16, 2019, 11:48:51 PM
That etch is awesome! I love the design, excellent work.

Sent from my BND-L24 using Tapatalk

Cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hexjibber

Quote from: mjg on August 17, 2019, 12:05:29 AM
Very nice!  You've got the 'distressed' look just right.

What are all the toggle switches controlling?  Is it all gain controls for the different transistors?

The two lower ones are for the transistor sets so for example you can switch the germ to higher gain and the silicon to lower then blend to taste, it's a pretty cool idea. The upper toggle is for the germanium side only and changes the direction of the tone sweep, I haven't played around with this much yet though

somnif

Spaceman really do love their weird resistors (and other parts to be honest). If you ever look inside their pedals, it looks like someone just grabbed parts at random from a salvage bin, completely random assortment of wattages, brands, tolerances, etc.

Hexjibber

Quote from: somnif on August 17, 2019, 12:34:17 AM
Spaceman really do love their weird resistors (and other parts to be honest). If you ever look inside their pedals, it looks like someone just grabbed parts at random from a salvage bin, completely random assortment of wattages, brands, tolerances, etc.

Indeed! I don't normally subscribe to mojo stuff of that sort but this time round I thought I'd go the whole hog! I loved the sound of the original in demo vids so thought I could do worse than stick to listed values etc. Nice to build something a bit different every now and then!

Have to say though, the workmanship inside their pedals is first class

alanp

Quote from: Hexjibber on August 16, 2019, 11:39:34 PM
The etch isn't my best so I roughed it up a bit with wire wool to try and give it a worn in look haha!

I like the way this man thinks!
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

PMowdes2

Nicely done indeed

We've added a few new Spaceman boards recently 😉
DeadEndFX

LaceSensor

m-Kresol

great stuff. Good to see you back to building, keep them coming.  8)
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

Johnnytoobad

Hexjibber, any chance you could share your drill template?  Is it a 1590bbs?

Very cool!

Betty Wont

jjjimi84

Ooooh that is magical!! I love the roughed up distressed look, very cool.