News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

1590LB Headphone Amp

Started by m-Kresol, August 20, 2019, 10:19:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

m-Kresol

So, my brother's birthday is coming up and he asked me some time ago to build him a bass headphone amp. naturally, I wanted a challenge and decided to make it as small as possible. After some research, I settled on the MXR Headphone amp, but added a charge pump to 35V to give it some more headroom.
I've designed the pcb as a sandwhich, with the top one being the charge pump and the bottom one having the actual amp on it. In case of heterodyning or other noise, I could have just removed the charge pump and add a small vero for the power supply. Luckily, everything turned out flawless and I managed to put it in a 1590LB. Thanks Brian for the enclosure library in Eagle. that helped a lot!
The graphics are laser engraved after base coat and spray paint. After the laser, I put on 3 coats of clear. works great, and is quick, but it will not remove the base coat (I guess it has some inorganic particles that don't just burn off).

I will work out a build doc and publish this soon, also have some spares that I'm going to sell very cheap.

During building. the two boards are soldered together with 3 pins. I cut the leads very short on both boards, and covered one side in hot glue, just to prevent any shorts.

I did add a whole to the bottom board for fixing it into the enclosure, but ended up just hot glueing it in place. The bottom pcb is slightly smaller so the DC jack is partly under the top pcb.
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

alanp

"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

Martan

pickdropper

Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

thomasha

Nice sandwich!
Using the pins to connect both boards makes it much more professional that any other sanwiched boards i've seen in DIY.

Bio77

alanp

Quote from: thomasha on August 21, 2019, 09:54:07 AM
Nice sandwich!
Using the pins to connect both boards makes it much more professional that any other sanwiched boards i've seen in DIY.

Hardsoldering those pins in is the only part that makes me nervous, because good luck if one of the caps somewhere blows it's top.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

m-Kresol

thanks!

I would have used removable headers, if I'd have had enough vertical space to allow it.
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

Leevibe

nzCdog

Hey that's a cool project, neat work Felix!  Your bro is gonna love it