News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Klein Bottle problem :(

Started by Masochist, September 06, 2019, 11:17:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Masochist

So I've just finished putting my Klein Bottle together but unfortunately I'm having some issues.

There's output when I plug the guitar into the input and the Master Volume pot is responsive but when I try to engage the footswitches the LEDs don't light up. I haven't got any pedals plugged into the in/outs but I don't think the input jacks are switching so I don't think that would be the issue. I put the LEDs Cathode into the square pad and the Anode into the circular pad, could I have installed them the wrong way?

I'm trying to decipher the schematic to attempt to trace the problem. Trying to work out where to start.. the power input is the top left of the schematic, right? I checked with a DMM to see if I'm getting 9V at the input and that seems fine.

If anyone has any tips on how I should go about tracing the problem I'd really appreciate it. Hopefully this could be a great learning experience in troubleshooting circuits! Anyway, looking forward to hearing back, thanks in advance :)

Masochist

Might have prematurely posted.. I grabbed another similar LED and tried touching the Cathode to the circular pad and Anode to the square pad. When I pressed the footswitch it lit up!! So now I'm in the process of taking it apart so I can switch the LEDs around. Hopefully this is my only problem with this build!!

Masochist

One more question.. I've removed the LEDs but I'm having trouble removing all the solder from the pads to I can install the LEDs back the 'correct' way. I've got a solder sucker thing and solder wick, but can't seem to remove some of the solder.

Does anyone have any tips to try to remove the stubborn solder? Should I try to use a higher temp or something?

EBK

I remove solder by holding the board up, dipping my soldering iron tip into some solder paste that I stole from Brian, heating the solder from underneath, and letting gravity do the work.
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

alanp

I use a stainless steel dentist's pick from Smallbear, for things like that.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

Masochist

Quote from: alanp on September 07, 2019, 03:58:39 AM
I use a stainless steel dentist's pick from Smallbear, for things like that.

Interesting! How does that work? Do you heat the pad up as much as possible then use the pick to push the solder through?

Masochist

Ended up hitting em with the hot air gun and that seemed to do the trick! Was thinking I might have to macgyver up something like wrap a paperclip around my soldering iron tip!

Would still like to hear about this dental pick thing tho!! :)

benny_profane

I always had problems with cheap solder suckers. The engineer SS-02 solder sucker with the silicon tip has been a great improvement. A little spendy, but great results and no where near the expense of a real-deal desoldering station.

somnif

I use copper braid solder wick, with a little added flux. Braid on pad, iron on braid, rub rub rub.

Through-hole pads can take a moment, but the movement of the braid really helps it "suck" solder. Keep the iron stationary holding the braid in place, and wiggle the braid and forth so the strands move a bit (extra capillary action!)

Aentons

Quote from: somnif on September 07, 2019, 11:01:08 AM
I use copper braid solder wick, with a little added flux. Braid on pad, iron on braid, rub rub rub.

Through-hole pads can take a moment, but the movement of the braid really helps it "suck" solder. Keep the iron stationary holding the braid in place, and wiggle the braid and forth so the strands move a bit (extra capillary action!)

I've never gotten the hang of the wick, the iron tip always goes right through the braid. I have a 40 year old pump action solder sucker with a tip  that's all eaten up that works like a charm (almost) every time.

diablochris6

In a pinch, I have used a wooden toothpick to push through some stubborn solder. I hold my board with the thumb and middle fingers, and my index finger puts slight pressure on a toothpick against the blocked pad. On the other side of the board I apply heat with the iron. The toothpick slides right through until the taper of the point is too wide.
Build guides of my original designs and modifications here

Masochist

That's a cool technique! Will keep that one in mind.

One more question, does anyone know where to source the knobs that are used on the retail KB?

benny_profane

Masochist

benny_profane

Sure thing. By the way, did you see that Peter released modifications to help deal with signal bleed?