Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Mammoth Electronics Acquisition

Started by TeleCrunch, October 05, 2019, 09:53:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Muadzin

Quote from: jubal81 on October 17, 2019, 07:14:38 AM
Quote from: Muadzin on October 17, 2019, 06:51:27 AM
... I got an Axe FX I spend most forum time on the Fractal forum now these days.

You know who won in that movie right?  :P

Come to think of it I can't remember if I ever ordered from Mammoth. They got some stuff I'd like, but whenever I felt like ordering, when it was time to check out and saw what they were charging to ship to Europe I went I don't think I like that stuff that much. I'll see what's on offer on Musikding.

somnif

Only thing I really ever ordered from Mammoth was 3pdt's  when they'd go on sale. A dozen for 10$ was a good deal.

matmosphere

Govmnt_Lacky

YEARS ago I placed a single order from them for some parts. When the box showed up, it was missing 2 items. Spent 2 weeks getting it fixed. About a week later, I received another box from them with a whole bunch of parts that I never ordered. I emailed them about it and even provided a list of the items. They told me "Just keep it... on us."

At that point, I was done with them (for a LONG time) as I could only imagine being the person who did order the items and never received them (the box had all my details on it so it must have gotten electronically mixed up in the shipping)

Fast forward to recent times. Tayda had been out of 3P4T rotary switches and I needed the in a hurry. Mammoth did come through for me although... it was the only option I had.

BuGG

Ahh heck, someone has to do it...   

I'll stock PPP enclosures and sell individually, what colors do we want?     Will have to start off with a few and see how things go.

WormBoy

Quote from: Matmosphere on October 17, 2019, 11:34:19 AM
I'll bit, what movie is it?
Invasion of the Body Snatchers (remake from 1978).

pickdropper

Quote from: BuGG on October 18, 2019, 08:56:03 PM

I'll stock PPP enclosures and sell individually, what colors do we want?     Will have to start off with a few and see how things go.

I'm probably the minority, but I like the transparent candy colors (blue, teal, red, etc).  They are different than the standard offerings.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

benny_profane

Quote from: BuGG on October 18, 2019, 08:56:03 PM

I dig the sparkle finishes (purple, red, black, and blue are favorites). Gold is a definite, too. I'd suggest picking a handful for a poll and go from there.

Since your offerings are all designed for 125b, do you plan on stocking just that size? Or are you going to maybe stock others? 1590a, 1590b, and 1590bb get a lot of use.

BuGG

Quote from: benny_profane on October 19, 2019, 05:30:17 AM
Since your offerings are all designed for 125b, do you plan on stocking just that size? Or are you going to maybe stock others? 1590a, 1590b, and 1590bb get a lot of use.

Initially I'll start with 125B, but have no problem getting the other common sizes as well.

The issue right now is that PPP is not cheap, like at all.... and the price cut for larger batches doesn't amount to much.    Once you factor in shipping cost and taxes the price goes up just to break even.     But, what else can we do?     We're in a position of either paying a few dollars more each, or not having access to them at all.

Besides, if I'm able to get the UV printer as planned (hoped), we're going to need powdercoated enclosures.

benny_profane

Quote from: BuGG on October 19, 2019, 07:05:48 AM
Quote from: benny_profane on October 19, 2019, 05:30:17 AM

Initially I'll start with 125B, but have no problem getting the other common sizes as well.

The issue right now is that PPP is not cheap, like at all.... and the price cut for larger batches doesn't amount to much.    Once you factor in shipping cost and taxes the price goes up just to break even.     But, what else can we do?     We're in a position of either paying a few dollars more each, or not having access to them at all.

Besides, if I'm able to get the UV printer as planned (hoped), we're going to need powdercoated enclosures.

I hear you on all counts. I do think you might meet some resistance if folks are used to mammoth (or especially Tayda) prices. PPP is well over double per unit compared to mammoth. So that might factor into things.

The other box sizes would be rad, but I get starting with 125b to start.

That's awesome you'd want to help fill the market gap—and help low-volume builders have access to UV printing. Have you reached out to PPP and had a preliminary discussion? They've always been super accommodating when I've needed to arrange things.

matmosphere

Are we even sure there is going to be a gap in the market here, there is a chance that whoever bought the company will continue offering that service.

BuGG

My primary focus is affordable one-off UV printing.

There's always been a gap there.

matmosphere

Quote from: BuGG on October 19, 2019, 08:49:29 AM

Oh yes, there certainly is. That would be cool, and I need to get it together one of these days and order an organ donor board

pickdropper

Quote from: BuGG on October 19, 2019, 08:49:29 AM

The biggest challenge there is the setup time.  It's a large part of the reason why I don't do one off laser engraving.  Not all artwork is good to go and I spend time tweaking it so it will work.  Then, there's the issue of yield loss due to misalignment (or bad printing in the case of UV).
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper