News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Footswitch PCB

Started by ddj3891, October 31, 2019, 12:15:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ddj3891

I've gotten some of the footswitch PCBs from the fine folks here at Madbean Pedals and they really make things easier.  I'm curious, though, as to why the footswitch PCB isn't built into the pedal circuit PCB to begin with.  As I type this, I am thinking it has to do with different dimensions of footswitches and pots and may have answered my own question.  I still welcome responses from folks more knowledgeable than I am.

madbean

Attaching a footswitch to the actual effect circuit is one of the most predictable paths of future failure, IMO. The footswitch is the point that receives the highest mechanical force exerted on the enclosure (which is itself not as rigid as it might seem). Any flex on the enclosure from stomping on the switch could lead to small fractures in the solder joints on that switch which will lead to failure at some point. When you have two separate boards, there's no rigid plane to cause those failures: the small footswitch PCB simply has nothing trying to keep it in one plane.

ddj3891

Quote from: madbean on October 31, 2019, 12:35:43 PM
Attaching a footswitch to the actual effect circuit is one of the most predictable paths of future failure, IMO. The footswitch is the point that receives the highest mechanical force exerted on the enclosure (which is itself not as rigid as it might seem). Any flex on the enclosure from stomping on the switch could lead to small fractures in the solder joints on that switch which will lead to failure at some point. When you have two separate boards, there's no rigid plane to cause those failures: the small footswitch PCB simply has nothing trying to keep it in one plane.

That makes sense.  That's why your the guru and I'm just a grasshopper. Thanks!

gordo

Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

movinginslomo

Quote from: madbean on October 31, 2019, 12:35:43 PM

I've put together some basic kits before that have onboard pads for footswitches... not a very durable method? These are designed for beginners too. Bad practice? Encouraging bad habits?