Author Topic: Man o' War Deluxe  (Read 341 times)

gordo

• Electron Doctor
    • View Profile
    • Project Website
Man o' War Deluxe
« on: December 07, 2019, 07:30:04 PM »
I swear off analog delays every time I build one.  I'm just a fan of pristine digital and in a live situation especially it just works better.  The MoW boards come around and I think "na...I'm done with it..."

Needless to say that lasted about 5 minutes and of course being the gear hog that I am I added it to the cart and had Paypal do the dirty deed.  It arrived, and following the thread on the mod switch tweak I got it together and had a flashback to the fix I did on the Aquaboy when I got some nasty distortion coming off of the NE570.  I dropped C11 to 150n, which cleaned things up considerably.  Got the whole thing dialed in and...damned if this doesn't sound terrific.  I didn't have the right LDR so went with a VTL5C3 as a stand in.  I don't think I'll be replacing it, the mod sound is very tasty.

The tails switch is the deal breaker for me.  I can easily see using this thing in a live setting, especially for pad/ambient type stuff where pristine digital is sometimes TOO pristine.  Dialing back the 570 a bit kept the top end in but reduced the low end thump/distortion to a nice bit of grit if I really pound on the strings.

Now that I'm committed to using it I figure I'll try an etched PCB for the control panel and come up with some cooler knobs.

jimilee

• Electron Doctor
  • Jimi Lee
    • View Profile
Re: Man o' War Deluxe
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2019, 07:44:18 PM »
Nice, I do love a good delay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

cooder

• Electron Doctor
  • Stephan Nelson / New Zealand / Aotearoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2019, 08:44:12 PM »
Epic build! Very well done all around! 8)
Nice touch with the countersunk LEDs and I agree some cooler knobbies would set it off even better...
BigNoise Amplification

Adam_MD

• Solder Ninja
  • Colin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2019, 07:29:38 AM »
Nice I need to build one of these