News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Rustbucket

Started by MAO, December 20, 2019, 01:25:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MAO

Fired right up, thanks again Madbean!

This pedal is alot of fun, with alot of cool sounds, although took a bit of practice to get it figured out.

Goes from volume swells, to violin like, to long drones, to reverse-tape like...and probably more.

As for the build, moved the controls around to better suit the graphic.

Added an optical bypass too for silent switching.

jimilee

That looks fantastic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

gordo

Did you have to grease up the board to get it in there?  That looks very cool.  Nice touch arranging the knobs to work around the large graphic.  Very tasty build.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

EBK

Please, tell me more about that DC polarity label.  I haven't seen one done that way before, and I like it.

I'm also a fan of the control placement. 
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

cooder

Most excellent and the graphics are just spot on! Tight 'n tidy! 8)
BigNoise Amplification

alanp

Very cunning usage of the 9mm pots' mounting holes :)

The rest is pretty damn good too :D
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

Bio77

Super cool! 

Wondering why you ended up flipping the board?

MAO

Thanks Blo77!

As for the flipped board, I wanted the stomp switch on the right side, and I mounted the optical bypass right on top of the switch. I needed it lined up with that little cutout in the pcb so it would easily fit...plus I thought switch looked better behind Page's left leg :0)

Hopefully I won't have to readjust the trimmers in the future.

I'm embarrassed to admit, it was all about trying to compliment the picture.

MAO

Quote from: jimilee on December 20, 2019, 02:12:47 PM
That looks fantastic.

Thanks jimilee, you just made my night!

I spray painted the top of the enclose a metallic silver, then printed out a reverse image onto a ink jet compatible transparency, which I then flipped over and placed on top of the enclosure...so the ink is protected.

It looks kinda ghostlike, with a cool silver shimmer. Tough to capture that with my phone camera.

Again FWIW, the hardware and static/friction keeps the transparency in place. When there isn't enough knobs and/or switches to keep it laying flat, I'll put clear packing tape on the edges, lined up with the black frame and folded over the edge about 1/8 inch or so. You can barely see the tape...or maybe I just dont want to :0)

This way if I get bored with the design, or repurpose an enclosure, I can just toss out the transparency and print out something else.

MAO

Quote from: EBK on December 20, 2019, 05:03:33 PM
Please, tell me more about that DC polarity label.  I haven't seen one done that way before, and I like it.

Thanks EBK!
Sorry, I don't recall where I found that polarity pic, but I'm sure it was from a google search or possibly an online pedal manual.

I do remember I edited it a bit with GIMP to get it looking as is.

MAO

Thanks for the kind words guys!

MAO

Quote from: alanp on December 20, 2019, 05:22:16 PM
Very cunning usage of the 9mm pots' mounting holes :)

Thank you sir!

I usually work with stripboard layouts, and drill extra holes to route the wires through. The holes make a nice strain relief as I also like to use solid 22 gauge hookup wire.
Haven't had any wires break loose since...and it looks much better too as the wires are all but hidden under the board. (Got the idea from John K's etched builds over at tagboards)

So of course, I couldn't let those nice mounting holes go to waste. Perfect fit . :0)

Not really sure why I didn't wire the power and ground from the component side, must have been a late night...