News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

3d printed Big Muff Knob

Started by matmosphere, January 09, 2020, 07:13:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

matmosphere

I was playing around in Tinkercad and made this. It's not perfect, but it's not bad either. Don't think there is much I can do to get a better resolution unfortunately. printed it white so it'd show up better in pictures.

jimilee

That's pretty awesome man.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

culturejam

Jesus, you did that in TinkerCAD? That must have taken a long time! My hat is off to you, sir.

Can you share the project and send me a link? I just got a cheap SLA printer and this would be fun to try out.
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

gordo

That's too cool.  DIY at it's finest.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

Leevibe

matmosphere

Quote from: culturejam on January 09, 2020, 03:45:00 PM
Jesus, you did that in TinkerCAD? That must have taken a long time! My hat is off to you, sir.

Can you share the project and send me a link? I just got a cheap SLA printer and this would be fun to try out.

Oh no, not at all. I am no good a tinker cad really. I found a stl file where someone had scanned one (I think) and changed it to a standard knurled shaft as opposed to the d shaft.

It still took me forever to figure out how to do it.

culturejam

This looks pretty good: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2227994

I'll get a couple of these bad boys on the old SLA tonight.  ;D

culturejam

Even on my tiny little printer, I can fit 8 of these on the build plate.  8)

jimilee

Quote from: culturejam on January 10, 2020, 05:55:14 AM
Even on my tiny little printer, I can fit 8 of these on the build plate.  8)

Boom, looks good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

matmosphere

Quote from: culturejam on January 10, 2020, 05:27:20 AM
This looks pretty good: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2227994

I'll get a couple of these bad boys on the old SLA tonight.  ;D

That's the one I started with. I modified it to fit knurled tooth pots though. I'll send you the file if you want.

If you've got an sla printer yours are probably gonna look pretty awesome. Better than I can do with fdm.

culturejam

Yeah, it definitely looks like the shaft hole is too narrow for the typical 1/4" pots. So that will have to get modified. And also flattening out the bottom to eliminate the need for supports.  I'll do what you did and import to TinkerCAD and then mod it.

storyboardist

Nice work. That's been on my "to print" list for a while now, but D&D minis keep nudging it down the list. ::) Which SLA printer did you get, CJ?
Guy behind Effects Layouts

culturejam

Quote from: storyboardist on January 10, 2020, 09:19:15 AM
Nice work. That's been on my "to print" list for a while now, but D&D minis keep nudging it down the list. ::) Which SLA printer did you get, CJ?

Elegoo Mars. It's pretty nice, but the build area is quite limiting. Still, it's good enough to do a lot of fun things. I modeled and printed a Gibson "poker chip" and next I'm going to do the pickup switch cavity cover. Did some guitar picks, too. They look like they rolled out of a factory. It's crazy.

Leevibe

Quote from: culturejam on January 10, 2020, 12:25:29 PM
Quote from: storyboardist on January 10, 2020, 09:19:15 AM

Elegoo Mars. It's pretty nice, but the build area is quite limiting. Still, it's good enough to do a lot of fun things. I modeled and printed a Gibson "poker chip" and next I'm going to do the pickup switch cavity cover. Did some guitar picks, too. They look like they rolled out of a factory. It's crazy.

Dang. I didn't realize SLA has gotten that accessible. That's cheap! Whats the build volume? How is the smell/mess? And I love that goo is part of the name.

culturejam

Quote from: Leevibe on January 12, 2020, 05:35:26 AM
Dang. I didn't realize SLA has gotten that accessible. That's cheap! Whats the build volume? How is the smell/mess? And I love that goo is part of the name.

Build volume is tiny. In the pic I posted above.....that's the entire build plate (in terms of X / Y). It's 120 x 68 x 155mm (Z).

It's messier than it is smelly, in my opinion. The Elegoo brand resin is actually not that bad smell-wise. But that shit gets everywhere if you're not meticulous, and it's pretty nasty stuff. Resin printing is both messy and a bit wasteful (gloves, isopropyl alcohol, paper towels, etc). It also requires a whole cleanup process you don't need with FDM. And it requires a lot more supports for things that wouldn't be an issue with FDM, which means more time post-processing. But the print resolution is off the charts. And, because it's light-based and it can expose the entire build area at once, printing one of something takes as much time as printing 4 or 10 of that same model. So it's slow as hell for one-offs, but you make up for it when printing multiples.

The newer cheap SLAs are worth trying out if you're already a 3D printer guy. I wouldn't recommend this process for someone looking to get into 3D printing.