News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

A place for my stuff.

Started by MTK, January 12, 2020, 05:57:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MTK

Hey, guys. I'm new here at the forum but you might have seen me around on Reddit and/or Instagram, I think I recognized a few builds here. I think you guys all haunt the same places. Anyway, I just wanted to say hello and share some of my favorite projects so far. I haven't been at this stuff for very long, my first pedal was in November of 2018, but I've built a lot of circuits in that time. This hobby has taken over almost all of my free time. I used to consider myself a woodworker but, over the last year, it's been about 90% pedals and 10% woodworking. I'm trying to scale back and balance my time a little better and get back to some woodworking this coming year. We'll see how that goes.

These are all vero builds, I'm not on the level of doing my own PCB's yet, so this might be a snoozefest for you.

In no particular order.

The Ripley II - Bazz Fuss with a pulsating LED. This was my 3rd pedal.

Clip of the LED pulse. https://i.imgur.com/Y1pq99R.mp4

Galaga - Shoe Pixel with a 555/4017 LED chaser circuit to make the ship look like it's shooting.

Clip of the LED chaser circuit. https://i.imgur.com/teAix6V.mp4

Revv G4 -  this is my goto distortion (I used to use a Dr. Boogie but the G4 blows that away)

Nebula - Hoof Reaper - Doom central. So fun.

Stoned Rat - Turbo Rat -> Ultra Stoner MkII with the clipping LEDs moved to the front because I think it looks awesome (this is pretty much my daily goto fuzz pedal)

LV-426 - EQD/Sunn O))) Life Pedal (there was/is a ton of hype around this pedal and, don't get me wrong, it's heavy and dooms well but I'd take the Hoof Reaper over it, no question. Although I do really like the octave blend vs full-on Green Ringer/Tentacle.

And my most recent project was another Shoe Pixel but I crammed it into a 1590A. I really love this effect. Nintendo has always been my favorite console, I love the 8bit music. I've got an order into Parasit for the Sidescroller Mk2 right now and I'm working on getting the Darkadiator vero to work. I love the bitcrushers.

Pacman - Shoe Pixel

If you made it this far, cheers!
-MTK

EBK

Excellent builds!  I love the Pac-Man and Galaga ones in particular.  Have you checked out the contest board yet?  The deadline to enter is today, and I would strongly encourage you to consider it.  ;)
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

Caedarn

MTK

Quote from: EBK on January 12, 2020, 06:38:29 AM
Excellent builds!  I love the Pac-Man and Galaga ones in particular.  Have you checked out the contest board yet?  The deadline to enter is today, and I would strongly encourage you to consider it.  ;)

Thanks, man. I appreciate it. A contest, that's fun. Is it customary to submit 1 entry or multiples? Also, since I'm new, wouldn't it be kinda douchey to participate? I haven't been a part of the forum or contributed anything.

edit: Nevermind. I found the thread. It's 1 pedal. Man.... that's tough. I built a lot last year. lol

Quote from: JoeR3155 on January 12, 2020, 06:41:31 AM
Really impressive!

Thanks!!

pickdropper

All nice builds, but I particularly like the divided label on the Nebula.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

jimilee

Those look fantastic. I'm a sucker for flashing and pulsing LEDs. Welcome to the forum!

As far as the contest, it's one per category.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

alanp

"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

rockola

Incredible art on all of these. My favourite has to be the Galaga pedal, played way too much Galaga back in the day (was it really almost 40 years ago?). Is the LED pulse rate synced with any of the pedal controls?

MTK

Quote from: alanp on January 12, 2020, 08:15:23 PM
Wow!
Thanks!

Quote from: jimilee on January 12, 2020, 07:30:06 AM
Those look fantastic. I'm a sucker for flashing and pulsing LEDs. Welcome to the forum!

Thanks, man. I dig the lights too. There is a little noise added because of them though.

Quote from: rockola on January 12, 2020, 11:00:43 PM
Incredible art on all of these. My favourite has to be the Galaga pedal, played way too much Galaga back in the day (was it really almost 40 years ago?). Is the LED pulse rate synced with any of the pedal controls?

Yeah, Galaga was a little while back. lol I haven't tried to control the speed of the LEDs with a knob. That's a good idea. I'm assuming that'd have to be a dual gang, right?

I've got a couple more builds I can post, gotta find the drive that's got the pictures on it. I just went through my laptop and cleaned everything up and whatnot at the first of the year.

dawson

Neat builds and sharp decals- I'm curious about your labeling method as your colors are turning out more true than some of the other methods I've seen around, any secret techniques or products you'd be willing to share?

I had to look up the Shoe Pixel because I hadn't heard of it- what a cool effect for so few components!  I use (and highly recommend) the Parasit Studio 0415 Synth and can get similar tones feeding the 0415 into a Big Cheese clone, but the Pixel is now on my list of silly things to build- nice work shoving it into that 1590a.
  You've probably seen this already, but in case you haven't: https://www.parasitstudio.se/uploads/2/4/4/9/2449159/guitarsynthvero.png

Thanks for sharing!
Criticism is encouraged: constructive, or otherwise.

MTK

Quote from: dawson on January 13, 2020, 01:24:51 PM
Neat builds and sharp decals- I'm curious about your labeling method as your colors are turning out more true than some of the other methods I've seen around, any secret techniques or products you'd be willing to share?

I had to look up the Shoe Pixel because I hadn't heard of it- what a cool effect for so few components!  I use (and highly recommend) the Parasit Studio 0415 Synth and can get similar tones feeding the 0415 into a Big Cheese clone, but the Pixel is now on my list of silly things to build- nice work shoving it into that 1590a.
  You've probably seen this already, but in case you haven't: https://www.parasitstudio.se/uploads/2/4/4/9/2449159/guitarsynthvero.png

Thanks for sharing!

Thanks, man. The Pixel is a lot of fun and really simple. The first time I built it, I think it was the 4th circuit I built - Bazz>Electra>Meathead>Pixel - I fell in love with it. It was a massive build at the time, 4 knobs and a toggle.

I've only recently become aware of Parasit and all the insane stuff they've got. I ordered the Sidescroller Mk2 a few days ago. And my friend linked me this yesterday. https://www.parasitstudio.se/building-blog/the-quantum-defrakulator-mk2-released And I'm not sure how I've lived this long without it in my life. lol

Yeah, the way I do graphics is different from anything I've seen so far. And it's stupid simple. I'll do a full how-to on my next build. I'm either going to be making another Life Pedal as a gift for a friend or boxing up a Darkadiator that, with the help of Freppo, is now working. So many transistors on that one.

MTK

Instead of starting new threads, I figure I'll just put my stuff here.

Today's project is another Life Pedal. The OLR-131

This one is pretty significant to me, it's a surprise gift to a friend of mine. I think this is the 8th or 9th pedal I've made for him but what's cool about it is the graphic. That's a piece he did, years ago, in regular M$ Paint. The Original Lie Revealed. It's one of my all-time favorite art pieces. The 3rd pedal I ever made was an Electra distortion that I gave it to him, with that graphic on it. The OLR-03.

I used Mod Podge for this one.

The significance, to me, is how far I've come in a year and 128 circuits later. Looking at these two side by side is a trip.

I built this is Sketchup and Photoshop. lol

Then I found DIYLC

gordo

Go away, we don't need your talented types here. :-)

Nice work and welcome aboard.  This is a great place.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

Leevibe

Some gorgeous art going on here. Welcome to Madbean. Keep posting!

MTK

Just finished this one up. I had some issues with the LEDs. I used 5mm white at first but they were too fat plus the super glue I was using was not working. After an hour it wasn't fully dry and the LEDs had slipped away from the eye holes. I removed the whole damn circuit, which is always a good time, scraped the glue out and used 3mm yellows and a new container of glue. That went much better. This effect is nuts, I love it

Here's a quick demo.
https://youtu.be/N2sR-ZpNGTA