News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Line 6 4 button series

Started by shedland, January 13, 2020, 01:20:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shedland

Hi

I have a Line 6 MM4 modulation pedal that I would like to mod, in particular the volume drop, but also the expression knob mod and the extra presets mod.

Does anyone have any documentation/info that describes how to perform these mods, I've had a look and haven't had much success.

Also if there are other mods that can be done I'd be interested in these also.

Thank you in advance.

dawson

Hi!
I've never used the MM4, but I've abused the DL4 extensively.  At the peak of my delay usage I was running both the DL4 and a Boss DD20- the DD20 has a cool feature called either "Warp" or "Twist" that while you're holding down the footswitch, the repeats don't decay, so a guy can just keep adding and adding to make a massive wall of repeats, then simply release the switch to allow the wall to decay (I hope this is making sense.)  Anyhow, I wrote that special DD20 function into one of my bands songs, and then the encoder in my DD20 decided to lose its mind and be very unreliable, and subsequently lost its spot on my pedalboard, but I didn't want to change my part in that song, SO I dug into the DL4 schematic and saw that I could create a function that would mimic the DD20.

How it works:  As you can see, there is a 5th footswitch on this DL4, and also an additional cream-colored knob on the top.  When the footswitch (Momentary 2P2T) is NOT engaged, the DL4 works like normal, using the POT value from the original feedback knob, but when the footswitch is engaged, the DL4 is given the POT value from the secondary knob instead.

I like the secondary knob set around 8/10, so that the repeats eventually decay, which sounds much less messy than the DD20 function.

How to DIY:  If you've got a momentary 2P2T, this mod can be done to any POT that has a lug going to ground or unattached to anything.  The common lugs of the 2P2T are wired to where the POT would be wired on the PCB, then the original POT is wired to the side of the Momentary switch that is connected when the switch is NOT engaged, the secondary pot is wired to the side of the switch that is connected when the switch IS engaged, and the lugs of both POTS that would go to ground get wired to ground, of course.

If you've got a Momentary 3P2T, this mod can be done to ANY POT, OR you can use the extra throw to do a little light show.

I've done this mod again with my "INTO THE UNKNOWN" guitar synth by Parasit, and also a MBP "DIRTBABY" that I've yet to box, both work great.
https://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=29735.0

Keep us posted with your progress!

I've got another DL4 that needs new switches- I could also mod it like this and do a better report with pictures if there's interest?
Criticism is encouraged: constructive, or otherwise.

gordo

Let me dig thru my notes. I modded both my dl4 and mm4 to be unity gain and it's a minor but noticeable improvement. I'm too lazy to replace the switches on mine and haven't had an issue with them. I have done it for other folks though. I added a remote switch for the expression jack rather than drill holes in the pedal.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?