News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Defeating EQD Flexi-Switching latching (making it strict momentary)

Started by dapeake, January 19, 2020, 08:41:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dapeake

I have an EQD Sea Machine. (fantastic pedal). The way I use it is to set it the effect to be almost annoying, then instead of leaving it on for sections of songs, I apply it momentarily to single notes and brief passages. EQD had this in mind with their Flexi-switching, but it does not do well in the sub 1 second domain: if I am too brief in my pedal press, it latches on and ruins my music. Does anyone have any idea how to defeat the latching?

It uses a Nexem / Kemet EC2 5SNJ, relay (datasheets were not helpful in determining if this latching behavior was part of the relay) but without surgery on the pedal and PCBA, and firing up my scope, I am not able to determine the signaling scheme. I saw Brian's "based on" schematic, but I could not identify any switch/relay info.

Any help would be appreciated. I will post the end results when I have succeeded.

Peace,

Dan
Campbell, CA

benny_profane

Very simple solution would be to replace the switch with a momentary SPST 3PDT (for an LED) or DPDT and remove the flexi switch circuit or put it in a loop with a NO momentary SPST momentary DPDT for monetary signal routing. That could easily fit in a 1590a or 1590lb.

EDIT: changed SPST to 3PDT/DPDT.

dapeake

I am certain the switch in the Sea Machine is actually a momentary, and that it sends a signal to the conditional flexi-switching logic circuit: ( IF <250ms = actuate and latch relay, IF >250ms actuate but do not latch relay. ) impossible with anything other than a momentary switch.

Dan

benny_profane

Quote from: dapeake on January 19, 2020, 10:09:19 PM
I am certain the switch in the Sea Machine is actually a momentary, and that it sends a signal to the conditional flexi-switching logic circuit: ( IF <250ms = actuate and latch relay, IF >250ms actuate but do not latch relay. ) impossible with anything other than a momentary switch.

Dan

Sorry—I meant removing the flexi switch circuit (the uC and the relay) entirely and replacing it with a hardwire switching option. You'd need a momentary 3PDT to have an LED, DPDT otherwise. Your other option would be to use the loop method with a DPDT momentary switch.

The relay in the flexi switch works with the code in the circuit's microcontroller. You could trace the switching circuit, remove the uC, and install a custom micro with your own code meeting your timing purposes. I highly doubt you'd be able to edit the uC that's in there currently.

Aentons

You might send EQD an email and see what they say. It would be conceivable that they may be interested in improving their product to be useful in more scenarios. I have one of the early "18v" Palisades that wouldn't actually do 18v and they modified it to do so for free even tho they didn't recommend running it at 18v and didn't produce the later ones to do so. They also did an "upgrade to latest spec" while they had it, whatever that means.

dapeake

Thanks Benny and Aentons. For Benny's reply; that is generally what I was thinking the end solutions might be. Figured someone here might have some detailed EQD knowlege to let me leap frog past the drudgery of reversing it.

Aentons - EQD sanded the ID off the top of the chip, so I assumed there is a "keep out" culture at EQD. I will definitely email them. Do you recall a name of your contact there at EQD?

Thanks,

Dan

Aentons

Quote from: dapeake on January 20, 2020, 08:49:37 AM
Do you recall a name of your contact there at EQD?

Sorry, It was 4 years ago so who knows. I emailed the support address on the site and they sent me a repair form to fill out and send in with the pedal. I paid for shipping in and they paid for shipping back.